Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structured BOM

43 REPLIES 43
SOLVED
Message 1 of 44
LonesomeJoe
1945 Views, 43 Replies

Structured BOM

I need to make a spreadsheet with a BOM of an assembly showing all the model files for a client.  When I use the "Structured BOM" option, the BOM omits the Phantom Assemblies.  The client wants every file, is there an option which will show all the files?  Thanx.

43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
pcrawley
in reply to: LonesomeJoe

Change all the BOM structures to "Normal".  That would show everything.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-A0A95805-CBF6-4524-8314-4AC8B53C19CF

Peter
Message 3 of 44
LonesomeJoe
in reply to: pcrawley

I was hoping there was a BOM option I could use on the assembly... I can't easily change all the phantom assemblies to normal, as there are dozens....  Oh, well, I'll just have to bite the bullet.  Thanx.

Message 4 of 44
pcrawley

Change the first one to "Normal".  Click away from the cell (so the drop-down arrow disappears)

Re-pick the on the word "Normal" so the cell highlights - then click and hold the dot in the bottom-right corner of the cell and drag it down.  (Just like you would to fill a range of cells in Excel.

Peter
Message 5 of 44
dlmsdm1

Create an IDW, place Parts List as Structured Legacy-pick delimiter, then place and re-open and hit the "+" next to all ****'y. Export out.
Message 6 of 44
LonesomeJoe

Thanks.  I need to know, when I do this in the "BOM" generator, does it change the BOM type in the actual phantom sub-assembly??  'Cause I can't do that, or my designers will have me drawn and quartered....  Thanx.

Message 7 of 44
pcrawley

Then unless you really want to see your entrails pulled from inside and roasted slowly over a fire, don't use my suggestion.

Go with the suggestion from dlmsdm1.

Peter
Message 8 of 44
LonesomeJoe

There are times when I can no longer convince myself that this software is not TRYING to PREVENT me from doing what I need to do....  I tried the .IDW-Parts List Export, unfortunately, it gives me the columns from our parts list, not the ones from a structured BOM made from the assembly.  *sigh*...  SOOOO... (and I say this PRAYING Inventor doesn't find out...), I used pcrawley's "change the BOM type" solution, Exported the Structured BOM, then... (... wait for it...)... quit without saving!!!!!  By the way, I tried to squash that bug running around on my screen, and I was even ready to call I.T. to ask how it got INSIDE my monitor.... Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 44
pcrawley

"this software is not TRYING to PREVENT me from doing what I need to do" - this is a good thing surely! 

Or did the "not" slip in by mistake?  Glad you got what you needed in the end.

(And sorry about the bug - annoying isn't it!)

Peter
Message 10 of 44
dlmsdm1

Spoiler
Did you see a "+" next to the assemblies? If you choose "legacy", you then have to expand the assembly to show all parts included within that assembly. Example, Item 1 is an assembly with 1.1 and 1.2 as parts in that assembly. Once you have that, then export.  If anyone else can explain it better, please do.
Message 11 of 44
mcgyvr

@LonesomeJoe wrote:

I need to make a spreadsheet with a BOM of an assembly showing all the model files for a client.  When I use the "Structured BOM" option, the BOM omits the Phantom Assemblies.  The client wants every file, is there an option which will show all the files?  Thanx.

That IS as a bug. 

A proper "intended BOM" WILL/MUST show phantom part numbers. But a parts list should NOT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 12 of 44
mrattray
in reply to: mcgyvr

I disagree. I would expect the BOM to show what's going to be on my parts list. Now, we're not getting confused between the "Model Data" tab and the "Structured" tab, are we?
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 44
mcgyvr
in reply to: mrattray

@mrattray wrote:
I disagree. I would expect the BOM to show what's going to be on my parts list. Now, we're not getting confused between the "Model Data" tab and the "Structured" tab, are we?

Thats just because you have been drinking too much of the Autodesk kool-aid. 🙂

EVERY ERP system in the world will show phantom parts in an "indented bom" but will NEVER show them in a "job or work order" created from that BOM.

A phantom is a non-stocking assembly but its still a line item in the BOM. And when the ERP system automatically creates the job orders/pick lists it simply pulls all the components from any phantom subs and pushes them into the upper level pick list. 

I real bug IMO is that when you export an "indented" bom from Autodesk it MUST include the phantom subs. If not the ability to use that exported bom to populate an ERP system BOM is just gone.  

The OP's client is asking for this information because its the RIGHT way it should be presented. Phantom subs SHOULD be a line item in a BOM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 14 of 44
mrattray

I think it might be less of the "AutoDesk Kool-Aid" and more of the "inbred job shop Kool-Aid". I'm not "allowed" to use sub assemblies in the ERP system here. I have to push everything out as a Parts Only BOM to a tab delimited text file using a macro that I hand wrote in order to get anything into our ERP.
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 15 of 44

Hi everyone,

In my day to day world, Phantom components are most often sub assemblies that do not belong in the ERP system, so the current thinking in Inventor's BOM structured tab is in line with how things are done here.

I think the real lacking functionality here is the ability to export the Model Data tab, or maybe an option to for the other BOM views to "see" or "not see" the Phantom components.

If I had to do this, I would:

• save and close my assembly (and maybe restart Inventor just for good measure)
  • then reload the assembly and open the BOM editor
  • then sort the Model Data BOM by BOM Structure
  • then change all of the Phantom components to Regular.
  • then export the Structured BOM
  • then close everything WITHOUT SAVING changes.

If I had to do this often, I'd write some iLogic to do something similar with a couple of clicks.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 16 of 44
mcgyvr

@mrattray wrote:
I think it might be less of the "AutoDesk Kool-Aid" and more of the "inbred job shop Kool-Aid". I'm not "allowed" to use sub assemblies in the ERP system here. I have to push everything out as a Parts Only BOM to a tab delimited text file using a macro that I hand wrote in order to get anything into our ERP.

I wonder the reason for not being "allowed" to use sub assemblies..

Just sounds like someone there doesn't know how to use an ERP system properly. (not you just whomever created the no-sub rule for whatever reason)

I'm sure that adds considerable time/complication to your daily work.

I see so many companies that don't have an ERP and just don't realize how much time it saves when used properly. 

We are and OEM and have hundreds of top level products and thousands and thousands of subs/phantoms/purchased parts,etc.. In no more than a few buttons/few minutes all the purchasing is done/maintained/etc... and all jobs/pick lists,etc.. are created. 

I still stand by the fact that a phantom sub IS a line item in a BOM and should be exported as one too. And all ERP systems back that logic up because they all work that way "when used properly". 

Message 17 of 44
mrattray

I couldn't agree more.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 18 of 44
LonesomeJoe

I'll throw my two cents' worth in on this.  The Phantom sub-assembly shouldn't appear on a "Bill of Materials", simply because it does not exist in the real world (ok, sometimes it does, but it's not tracked).  One of the things we use it for is our "Huck" bolts, which are two-piece rivets used in the Railroad industry.  It has a bolt and a collar, which we want to appear on a Parts List as separate components  We make the Phantom sub so we don't have to put each bolt and collar in every time, and so we can use the same two model files regardless of the grip thickness for each instance.  If I'm dumping a BOM for an ERP system, I DON'T want "Huck_Assembly_01" to show up because it's not a valid assembly.  You don't buy it that way, we just model it that way for efficiency.  I've never run into an issue with Phantoms, just because I've never had to dump a BOM that showed EVERY MODEL FILE... until now.  Smiley Frustrated  My "quit without saving" solution works dandy, tho, so Problem Solved!!  Thanx for all your help!!!

Message 19 of 44
mcgyvr

I guess I just understand how ERP systems work better than you guys 🙂

Phantom subs should be on a BOM but should NOT show up in a pick list or purchasing queue or anything else. But it still should be in the bom. 

A phantom is simply a non-stocking subassembly. And a BOM should include ALL subassemblies even non-stocking ones. 

And yes you absolutely want it to show up when exported because when you are entering your information into you ERP bom you simply put the Huck_assembly into the top level bom vs having to enter 2 line items.

If its not a new part number then it will already have its own bom calling for the rivet and collar and its phantom status will let the rest of the ERP system know how to handle it properly. 

A greater example might be a phantom sub (phan1) composed of 10,000 parts. And this phantom is used all the time in the production of many of your products.

With it being a line item when entering the bom for "Top Level1" you simply enter phan1 and you are done. If its not in the bom like you guys think it should be then each time you need to create a new top level product you have to manually add all 10,000 parts over and over again. 

Message 20 of 44
mrattray

@mcgyvr wrote:
...each time you need to create a new top level product you have to manually add all 10,000 parts over and over again. 

Or copy/paste them. Smiley Tongue

Our ERP has no form of a phantom sub assembly. I have to create a real stocked assembly to get this functionality, which, as you mentioned, wastes oodles of time.

I think an important point to consider is that ERP systems are as diverse as the industries they serve. It's actually baffling just how many there actually are: hhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ERP_software_packages

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report