Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange file type created by Inventor??

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
swiegand
813 Views, 13 Replies

Strange file type created by Inventor??

Hi guys, hope you can help with this one!

There is a strange file occasionally showing up in the folders where I save my IV files, all Chinese characters, 뗫邐邐讐嗿綁,>ཿ&ӽ贀ᑅpၵ痿,ࡵߨ is the name. Strange huh? I can look at it with Notepad, this is what is inside:

<PropertySetInformation><SummaryInformation><Property id="2" name="Title" exclude="yes"/><Property id="3" name="Subject" exclude="yes"/><Property id="4" name="Author" exclude="no"/><Property id="5" name="Keywords" exclude="yes"/><Property id="6" name="Comments" exclude="yes"/><Property id="9" name="Revision Number" exclude="no"/></SummaryInformation><DocumentSummaryInformation><Property id="2" name="Category" exclude="yes"/><Property id="14" name="Manager" exclude="yes"/><Property id="15" name="Company" exclude="yes"/></DocumentSummaryInformation><DesignTracking><Property id="4" name="Creation Date" exclude="yes"/><Property id="5" name="Part Number" exclude="no"/><Property id="7" name="Project" exclude="yes"/><Property id="9" name="Cost Center" exclude="yes"/><Property id="10" name="Checked By" exclude="yes"/><Property id="11" name="Checked Date" exclude="yes"/><Property id="12" name="Eng. Approved By" exclude="yes"/><Property id="13" name="Eng. Approved Date" exclude="yes"/><Property id="17" name="Status" exclude="yes"/><Property id="23" name="Web Link" exclude="yes"/><Property id="29" name="Description" exclude="no"/><Property id="30" name="Vendor" exclude="yes"/><Property id="34" name="Mfg. Approved By" exclude="yes"/><Property id="35" name="Mfg. Approved Date" exclude="yes"/><Property id="36" name="Estimated Cost" exclude="yes"/><Property id="40" name="Design State" exclude="yes"/><Property id="41" name="Designer" exclude="yes"/><Property id="42" name="Engineer" exclude="yes"/><Property id="43" name="Authority" exclude="yes"/><Property id="55" name="Stock Number" exclude="no"/><Property id="67" name="Last Update With" exclude="yes"/></DesignTracking><DesignTrackingControl><Property id="5" name="Reserved By" exclude="no"/><Property id="6" name="Reserved Date" exclude="yes"/><Property id="8" name="Unreserved Date" exclude="yes"/></DesignTrackingControl></PropertySetInformation>

It appears to be info from the "Project" tab in iProperties of one of my IV files but I cannot tell which one, the date this file was created does not match any file in the folder.

The problem that this file causes is that our Server backups are failing. That error is:

Backup Daily for =xxxx= Image on xxxx Failed --- Error - Error: Unable to query path "xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/Inventor_Drawings/???????,?????p??,??". Cause: No such file or directory

The backup will continue to fail until I delete the file. I've seen this about 3 times in the last year. I've been using IV for going on 9 years and never noticed this type of file until last year, not sure exactly when it first showed up or what might have changed to cause it.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP 1
IV 2013 Build 176, Release 2013 SP1.1 Update 2
ASUS P6T
Intel Core i7 920
16gb PC3-12800
160gb Intel X25-M
150gb WD Raptor
ATI FirePro V8700 driver 8.773.1.1000
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
cbenner
in reply to: swiegand

I managed to translate part of it:

continuous and meandering tied to continuous and meandering collation Tan. 

I have no idea what this means, or where it might come from.  Do you have good solid virus protection?

I would suggest sending this to Tech Support.

Message 3 of 14
mrattray

Do you have (or have you ever had) any third party add-ins installed, especially one dealing with iProperties?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 4 of 14
swiegand

The only add-ins that I've installed myself were 3DxInventor for my Space Navigator and Mastercam Direct. I don't see any pertaining to iProps. I've used only these same add-ins for every IV version for the past 5 years or so.

ASUS P6T
Intel Core i7 920
16gb PC3-12800
160gb Intel X25-M
150gb WD Raptor
Message 5 of 14
swiegand
in reply to: cbenner

Translation is very strange. Yes we have virus protection company wide supported by a trusted outside IT company. I hope someone from Autodesk sees this post soon and has some idea of what it is and what to do.

ASUS P6T
Intel Core i7 920
16gb PC3-12800
160gb Intel X25-M
150gb WD Raptor
Message 6 of 14
mrattray

I highly doubt either of those add-ins are to blame.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 7 of 14
ampster401

@swiegand wrote:

I hope someone from Autodesk sees this post soon and has some idea of what it is and what to do.

common mistake made by alot of people here...

Don't expect that Autodesk reads each and every post here.  They created these forums for end users to communicate with each other, not for people to post msgs hoping someone from Adesk will read it.

Depending on the planets alignments or if the groundhog seen it's shadow or the price of tomatoes will determine whether or not someone from Autodesk will actually read your post.

Your best bet with this situation is to contact your VAR or whomever sold you the software asap to get them in the loop.  Your VAR can work directly with Autodesk if needed.

Message 8 of 14
Cadmanto

Is this file definately coming from your machine or is it possible that someone else in your department is doing something to cause it.

By any chance are you using Vault?

How often does your company back up these files.  Any chance that this file is created as a result of the backup process or routine?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 9 of 14
mrattray

Check the Windows properties to see who created the file. Maybe Scott is onto something.

Capture2.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 10 of 14
swiegand

I don't use Vault.

The last few replies really got me thinking...

I know better and should have checked who the owner of the file was a long time ago! The file does not belong to me, the owner is a Mastercam programmer. It must be generated after he uses one of my models. I would think I would see a lot of these strange files though. More investigation is needed.

Thank all of you guys so much for the help and advise!

ASUS P6T
Intel Core i7 920
16gb PC3-12800
160gb Intel X25-M
150gb WD Raptor
Message 11 of 14
Cadmanto

Looks like you are on your way to solving this.  What I would do is talk to the gentleman that uses the Mastercam

software and check to see where he has the system dumping its created files to.  Chances are in Mastercam there is a setting that can path these files to a possible non-network location and eliminate the issue of your network backup not running.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 12 of 14
4donwan4

It is possible that these files are being generated from the design accelerator. In an assembly file go to the design tab, power transmission area of the ribbon for example the belts if generated these files may have a Chinese name on them when created. Just food for thought.

Regards,

Don

Message 13 of 14
swiegand
in reply to: Cadmanto

I can now reproduce the error, not consistantly though, and am not exactally sure what causes it.

The computer that is creating the file is loaded with Mastercam X6 along with Inventor View 2013 to read in my models. Also installed on this computer is IV 2011 so another employee can play around. Mastercam needs the version of Inventor View that can read my IV models, since I'm now using IV 2013 Mastercam needs IV View 2013 to read those new models.

The file in question is created, most of the time, after this chain of events:

-IV 2011 is opened and closed.

-Mastercam is opened and a model created w/ IV 2013 is chosen to open. An error in Mcam occurs, Cannot open file. Mastercam is closed.

-IV View 2013 is opened and re-registered by Windows.

-Mastercam is opened and same IV 2013 model is chosen and opens with no error. The file in question is created.

By preforming these actions the file will be created most of the time. Sometimes it is created seemingly out of the blue. I'm thoroughly confused by this. I need to try uninstalling IV 2011 and experimenting more.

I will reply with what I find at a later date. Thanks for all of the help and suggestions!

ASUS P6T
Intel Core i7 920
16gb PC3-12800
160gb Intel X25-M
150gb WD Raptor
Message 14 of 14
Cadmanto

I am wondering if there is a conflict of interest between inv 2011 and inv2013.  You might want to research into this to see if this is the case.

Inventor.PNG   vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report