Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
mecad
290 Views, 1 Reply

Storage

Upgrading to a new workstation with an SSD and conventional disc drive.

First thought was to install O/S, Inventor on SSD and use SSD for current project files only.

As project is finished move data files to HDD, And also use HDD for periodic backups,

I am a single operator, so no server/network issues.

Is there much advantage to having both Inventor and data files on SSD.

Thanks

Mike

To embarrassed to put my current machine specs.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
scottmoyse
in reply to: mecad

Yes, all of our machines have, OS, Inventor and working files on the main system drive which is are SSD's

Having everything reading and writing from the same SSD is ok. Ideally you would have two SSD's in RAID 0 or 1 for the OS & another for Inventor & its working files.

But in your hardware situation definitely have everything on the SSD and non essential applications installed on the HDD (assuming you are scrambling for space on your SSD). So office would be fine on your spinning hard drive along with your backup etc..

a note about using the old skool HDD for backup of your old projects. I strongly advise setting that up in RAID so you secure your IP better, if one drive fails the other still has a mirror of the data. It will also speed up read/write times, considering how cheap those drives are these days you would be silly not to.

I would then also have that data sync'd to an online file store, like bitcasa, dropbox, skydrive etc.. Then if someone nicks your PC or you have a fire/flood etc you won't loose your data.

I hope this helps.

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Design & Manufacturing Technical Services Manager at Cadpro New Zealand

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report