Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop Undo file size message.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
drspringer
2826 Views, 12 Replies

Stop Undo file size message.

I am trying to render animations and I am still getting the "Undo file size exceeded" message in the middle of my animation. I have tried every option I could find to get it to stop but it keeps happening. Some of the animations take over an hour and I don't want to sit in front of the computer waiting to click ok to increase the file size.

I've maxed out the size in the settings at 4096K but it still gives me the message at 2048 and 3072.

Any suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Daniel248
in reply to: drspringer

Well? Nobody knows? I would like to see someone from Autodesk answering this, too

Message 3 of 13
drspringer

It seems to me that during an animation sequence, the undo command is really unnecessary. Maybe if there was a way to turn it off during the animation process, that would solve the problem.

For now, when I have a large animation to do (7-8 seconds @ 16 fps) I exit the file, re-open it and go into the animation environment and render the section I need. Then repeat the process. It can take up to ten minutes waiting for Inventor to dump the memory and exit the model after a long animation. Very tedious.

Message 4 of 13
Daniel248

My 'small' animation is nearly 3 minutes @ 25 fps, produced as a still frame sequence, with Preview only (no render).

I've disabled the Undo file size message, as there is absolutely no point in Inventor stopping to ask for permission to increase the undo file size - in fact, there shouldn't be any undo when rendering - what is there to undo? Still, the message pops up and animation stops. I think I may just have to spend some time and write a little script using WMI (or similar) to detect and dismiss this annoying popup blighter. 

Message 5 of 13
Wayne_O
in reply to: Daniel248

I would really love it if someone could tell me how to solve this problem. I did an animation last year of our new product that our sales dept. loves and now they want me to make some changes. It's now 67 sec long and takes more then 5 hrs to run at 15 fps. I wouldn't mind if I could turn it on at the end of the day but having to baby-sit the thing for that kind of time is a waste of time. I tried disabling the prompt but it still comes up 3 time in that 5 hrs. I was told that Showcase also does animations but I don't have the time to invest in learning another software right now.

Message 6 of 13
drspringer

I still haven't found a consistent way do it it in either 11 or 12 but it seems to have stopped in 2013. I did a bunch of animations last week without the usual "run two animations, exit, restart and run some more" pattern and I never got the undo message. None of them were over 9 seconds but that didn't stop that message in previous versions. And it seems to handle the memory better without as much bogging down.

Can you break up the animation and splice it together later? My animations are set up that way for a customer that makes presentations. I don't know what they use but there are free video splicing programs on the web. I havent used them but it might be worth a look.

Message 7 of 13
Wayne_O

The original animation was done in IV2012 but I'm now using 2013 and am still running into the prompt. I think I'll look into making it in sections as you suggested. They love my animation but don't want me to spent much time on it so I'm not sure how far I'll get. I would also like to narrate over it if possible. Animating is a great tool for me to make my argument for new product or concepts. It seems to help broaden the imagination.

Thanks

Message 8 of 13
jletcher

Try this on your C drive make a folder called Inventor Undo then go into Inventor Application Options under the file tab you will see the undo mapping change it to your new location....

After I did this I never had a problem with the undo file.

So now when ever I set up Inventor for clients this is the 1st thing I do.

Message 9 of 13
Wayne_O

Thank you for the input, unfortunately it didn't work for me. I tried two time, the second time I placed the undo file at the top level of my C drive and still got the interruption. I did however have some success by maximizing the undo file size in my options. The only reason I didn't try that earlier is that in IV2011 or 12 when I tried that my software once shut down would not start up again. I had to go into the registry and change the value from there. Not something I like doing. I think I'll do as drspringer suggested and find a video editor to clip and paste and keep the animations smaller. Thank again for your input.

Message 10 of 13
Wayne_O
in reply to: Wayne_O

I just noticed that in the original post by drspringer he said that he was still getting the message after maxing out his file size so maybe by doing what you had suggested allowed me to get the maximum file size without the interruption.

Message 11 of 13
drspringer

If it helps, I found that making shorter animation timeline segments decreases the time it takes to load the Render environment. I'm not sure why but it does for me. You just have to be careful if you make a lot of camera moves, I still haven't figured that out completely.

Message 12 of 13
blair
in reply to: Wayne_O

There is a limit on the file size/time you can render an movie within Studio. It's been there from the onset of Studio. You choice would be to do a number of small AVI's and piece them together in a movie software such as Pinnacle or Premier. 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 13
BWMcDowell
in reply to: blair

having the same issue with moderate size assemblies
few tricks I use with 2017

after loading inventor I load task manage and set inventor.exe ad acwebbrowser to above normal priority

maxed out my undo file size in the application options(still a very small file)

when it pops up (takes about 15 seconds into changing something) click yes

then I ignore it for a while as it works on it's own. periodically I'll click yes (every 15 min-hr) till I click it and it pops up as done

I do not believe you have to hang out and keep clicking it every time it pops up, seems to keep grinding in the background, but I wasn't working on animations, just assemblies

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report