Inventor General

Valued Mentor
SeanFarr
Message 1 of 15 (2,285 Views)
Accepted Solution

Starting Sketch in XZ Plane, screen rotates 180

2285 Views, 14 Replies
10-01-2012 10:15 AM

When ever I start a new sketch in the xz plane (viewing from top down) my sketch rotates 180 degrees. Not a huge deal to rotate it back, but not everything I create is symetrical and when I go to draw the part, I want a certain ISO view to be default. I know you can insert/obtain any view into the drawing but is there an option to stop this rotation or maybe I am not setting up something correctly.

Using Inventor Pro 2012

Thanks

Sean

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Product Support
AndrewSears
Message 2 of 15 (2,275 Views)

Re: Starting Sketch in XZ Plane, screen rotates 180

10-01-2012 10:50 AM in reply to: SeanFarr

Hi Sean,

You are not able to set the sketching view to go to an ISO view.  That would be cool though!  You are able to stop the sketch from rotating.

In the Application Options\Sketch tab, uncheck the box to look at the sketch on creation...  see attached image.

Andy

Valued Mentor
SeanFarr
Message 3 of 15 (2,261 Views)

10-01-2012 10:59 AM in reply to: AndrewSears

That's incredible! , haha I looked through that tab at each point but didn't understand what it referred too!

Thanks.

Sean

Sean Farr

Active Contributor
NathanGMartin
Message 4 of 15 (2,076 Views)

02-05-2013 08:31 AM in reply to: AndrewSears

...except that the real problem is not the "Look at" feature; it's that Inventor draws sketches upside down and in bizzare rotations (probably trying to stay faitful to some internal UCS-related constraint), and then does not go back and transform the sketch CS to match the viewcube after the fact.  The "look at" feature is wonderful; it just faithfully and swiftly draws attention to a problem.  This may not be a big deal with Geometry, but next time this happens, Sean, try creating Text on your sketch.  What. a. pain.  

See these posts awaiting resolution:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Why-does-the-camera-turn-180-degrees-after-selecting...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Sketch-Orientation-quot-Look-At-quot-Feature/idi-...

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 5 of 15 (2,051 Views)

02-05-2013 09:51 AM in reply to: NathanGMartin

NathanGMartin wrote:

... try creating Text on your sketch.  What. a. pain.   

Can you post a file where this is painful?
Place the text.

Dimension the text box immediately (actual dimensions don't matter).

Drag the lower left corner to desired text angle.

Constrain with horizontal or vertical or dimensions.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Valued Mentor
SeanFarr
Message 6 of 15 (2,041 Views)

02-05-2013 10:31 AM in reply to: NathanGMartin

I know that there is more to this problem than what I was worried about. When I created the post, I actually only cared about the viewing of the sketch. I hated the 180 degree rotation, and then would have to flip around to start my sketch the way I feel is best. But I have come to accept that certain functions still comply to that 180 or 90 degree rotation whether or not I have that one check box unchecked (look at the sketch on creation).

Example. when starting a sketch, I often use vertical and horizontal constraints, and sometimes they are reversed, meaning when I am trying to horizontally constrain a center point from a vertical line to the origin, sometimes due to the sketch plane I have selected I have to use the opposite constraint (vertical). This is something I am used to now, not 100% sure about your text comment, but I am assuming it has something to do with this. 

Although there may seem like a million things wrong with the software(and other software), in my eyes there is more good things than bad. Meaning I am really glad I can create objects virtually, whether accurate or not, without using a pencil/pen and paper. I have zero hand drawing capabilities yet I can use inventor to create many different things. Without it, I would be in another career. One way or another the job can get done with Inventor.

Thanks and good luck!

Sean Farr

Sean Farr

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 7 of 15 (2,036 Views)

02-05-2013 10:46 AM in reply to: SeanFarr

SeanFarr wrote:

Example. when starting a sketch, I often use vertical and horizontal constraints, and sometimes they are reversed, meaning when I am trying to horizontally constrain a center point from a vertical line to the origin, sometimes due to the sketch plane I have selected I have to use the opposite constraint (vertical).

Gone through the same frustration.  I think whoever did the rotating sketch thing at Autodesk is simply not very bright.
X axis (red) is supposed to be horizontal

Z (blue) or Y (green) is supposed to be vertical, but if sketch does something unexpected I simply undo and use the opposite constraint to what I thought it was going to be.

There is a graphic trick if you have just the Tools>Application Options>Sketch tab set with Axis displayed, one is thicker than the other.  The thick one is supposed to be Horizontal, but since I like a clean screen.....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
wengerbryan
Message 8 of 15 (2,031 Views)

02-05-2013 10:55 AM in reply to: SeanFarr

This issue has been posted on the Inventor IdeaStation here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Sketch-Orientation-quot-Look-At-quot-Feature/idi-....  Everyone visit the post and add kudos please.  The answer you originally recieved from Autodesk sidestepped the actual issue of incorrect software behaviour.

Inventor 2012 SP2
Vault Collaboration 2013 SP1
Dell Precision T3500, Xeon W3503 2.4GHz, AMD FirePro V4900
Windows 7 64-bit, 8 GB RAM
Valued Mentor
SeanFarr
Message 9 of 15 (2,030 Views)

02-05-2013 10:55 AM in reply to: JDMather

This is very true, I think I subconsciously know what constraints to use now because of the amount of sketches done, but there is always a few times where I have to click the undo button and revert to the opposite constraint to get what I want.

haha...

Sean

Sean Farr

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 10 of 15 (2,022 Views)

02-05-2013 11:05 AM in reply to: SeanFarr

SeanFarr wrote:

This is very true, I think I subconsciously know what constraints to use now because of the amount of sketches done, but there is always a few times where I have to click the undo button and revert to the opposite constraint to get what I want.

Sean

I doubt there is a day that goes by that I don't have to undo and redo a horizontal/vertical constraint.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube