Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Component Refresh - Status: Failed

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
PolemEngineering
2044 Views, 9 Replies

Standard Component Refresh - Status: Failed

After editing a value in the Family Table in the Content Center Editor I still get the old value. I tried to refresh this Content Center part (as administrator) but without succes.

In the logfile the error message is: "Failed: Unable to create part file. Unknown error."

Earlier (probably with older version of Inventor) I was able to refresh.

Is this a bug, or has this something to do with false settings

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

Can you check the help document. This error and ways to resolve it has been mentioned in the Wiki help link below.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2011/Help/User's_Guide/104Assemblies/1497ContentCenter/150...

There is a log file which will be generated while doing a refresh and that would help you to understand the issue better.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 3 of 10

Thanks for replying. The log you probably mentioned is already in my first post.

The Wiki isn't helpfull either. When I click on the "Warning and Failure list and description"-link the same page is reloaded (no error list visible).

The error-log is not clear to me.

So please help.

Thank in advance,

René

Message 4 of 10

Hi,

You could try the suggestion given in the link below,

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Unresolved-link-to-Content-Content-Center-files-afte...

Hope it helps.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 5 of 10

A customer of mine is having the same issue as PolemEngineering.  The customer is using Inventor Professional 2014 SP1 Update 2 running on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.  When trying to use the Refresh command (Assembly file->Manage tab-> Content Center panel->Refresh), their desktops cannot refresh any of the parts from their Content Center.  The log file shows the same error for all files:

"Failed: Unable to create part file. Unknown error."

However, the customer has turned on the "Refresh out-of-date standard parts during placement" option (Application Options->Content Center tab).  So, if they use Place from Content Center to place another instance of an out-of-date part into an assembly, Inventor will update the part.  This means that the clients do have the ability and permissions in Windows to write to the Content Center Files directory.  The problem is just with the Refresh command.  The client does not consider this a workaround as they have hundreds of Content Center parts that need to be refreshed.  Placing them one at a time is to time consuming.  

We have tried to resolve the issue with the Refresh command by doing the following, but none of these worked:

1. As per VinodBalasubramanian's first post, we looked at the wikihelp in regards to this error message.  It said "The part file was not refreshed because instancing of the standard part failed for an unknown reason. Check the part file and the family data in the library." I have examined the part files and the family tables and found no errors. Since a part can be placed and refreshed using the Place from Content Center command, I do not believe the problem lies with folder permissions, the part files, or the family tables.

2. As per VinodBalasubramanian's second post, we made sure the issue was not caused by an inablility to write to the Content Center Files directory.  Again, Place from Content Center works without error.

3. The customer's Content Center databases and Content Center Files are normally located on a mapped network drive (in two different directories).  To make sure it was not a network issue, I copied the CC databases and CC Files to a local hard drive.  Then I created a project on the local drive and created a new assembly in the local project for testing.  The Refresh command's log file showed the same error.

4. I talked to the customer's IT department about user permissions.  The IT admin assured me that the users have admin privilages on their local computers.

5. I tried starting Inventor by right-clicking on the Inventor icon and using Run As Adminstrator.  Refresh produced the same error.

Does anyone have any other ideas about how to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Kevin Burrows

ECAD, Inc.

Message 6 of 10

Hello to all,

a customer had a same problem with the Standard content refresh and the source of problem was in empty custom iproperties fields that were mapped to other fields (filename, partnumber). After filing them out with data everything worked as it should.

I guess it is a "by design" issue with refresh utility. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 10
RossSapienza
in reply to: AlexErman

I am having the same problem. None of the suggestions above apply or helped, I have edited and updated or refreshed same write/rewrite libraries with the same files before. But all of the sudden... nothing. all files failed to update with "unknown error" in log file.

please help

thanks

Inventor 2017, AutoCAD LT 2017
Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 @ 3.6 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 560
Tags (1)
Message 8 of 10
RossSapienza
in reply to: RossSapienza

now, I get this, see attachment

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 @ 3.6 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 560
Message 9 of 10

@RossSapienza

First thing I would check to ensure if you still have full read/write permissions to that network location.  Also why is it buried (folder structure) so deep?

Second thing..  Under Tools/Application Options/Content Center tab..   Do you have the option check to "refresh out-of-date standard components on placement".   Check it if not, and then place one of those failed out-of-date components in a model.  Does it update correct?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 10 of 10

not sure what I did, but I think I have to just re-build my read/write library.

Windows 10 Pro
Intel Core i7 @ 3.6 GHz
16 GB RAM
AMD Radeon RX 560

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report