Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square to Round Transition Options?

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
jeanchile
5655 Views, 27 Replies

Square to Round Transition Options?

Hello all,

I have a square to round transition that I need formed up and the shop is telling me that they would prefer to split this thing at the corners rather than the flats. I've tried two different ways of doing this and I am looking for some input on how you guys would handle this part. It's 10.75" OD at the bottom and 2'-4" square at the top and 1'3" in length and made of 1/4" stainless steel plate. The shop wants this in four bent pieces that they can weld together down the corners.

1_4 in Transition.jpg

I've tried making just the one side but I'm not getting the results I would like to see. Making the full transition (as in the picture above) gives the finished result I am looking for but I can't seperate it into multiple sides.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Inventor Professional
27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
mrattray
in reply to: jeanchile

Ah, that is true. You're not being a PITA, by the way, this isn't my job to post here I just do it in the hopes of learning something.

With some testing I found that -2 Thicknessses results in an OD of 27.973 in vs your 28. This is using 12ga.

I made a sketch inside of the transition file with a skeletal representation of the profile of one of the transitions (drawn to OD). I put a driven dimension to the id and named it "id". Setting the transition then to id (the parameter) gave me 28.001 on the OD.

capture.jpg

capture2.jpg

I also cam up with this nightmare formula for calculating it directly, but IV doesn't understand the inverse tangent. *(I'm sure I facked it all up anyways):

id = cos(tan^-1(h/((l-d)/2)))*T

where h = height, l = length, d = diameter, T = thickness

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 22 of 28
Accudyne1
in reply to: mrattray

Can you just use atan for the inverse tangent?

Message 23 of 28
IgorMir

As I said - you need to suppress the Delete Face feature in the feature tree to get the flat pattern to work. Here is an iPart which has two entries in the table. One of them - for producing the Flat Pattern only. But if you don't mind the small notch in the corner - then you don't need an iPart.

Regards,

Igor.

@jeanchile wrote:

Igor,

On my computer your part doesn't completely flatten all the way and I can't figure out why. Does yours go completely flat?

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 24 of 28
jeanchile
in reply to: IgorMir

My apologies Igor (on two fronts). One for the fact that I read that part of your post but by the time I was free to open it I had forgotten, and two for replying so late. I have been out of town.

Thank you (and all the others) for the wonderful examples and usable information. Utilizing a "mixed bag" approach to the items posted here I was able to produce a file the "bend guy" was looking for and it worked great.

Now, I just need to figure out a way for me and my cohorts to convince him to do it the "normal" way.

Thanks again!

Inventor Professional
Message 25 of 28
IgorMir

Hi Jean,

I am glad it worked out for you OK.

Best Regards,

Igor.

Message 26 of 28
jeanchile

Here's the picture of the transition fit together. They said it went together like a "swiss watch". I think that means it was okaySmiley Wink.

photo.JPG

Inventor Professional
Message 27 of 28
IgorMir

Looks just like we have designed it! Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Igor.

Message 28 of 28
a.elezi00

I'm wondering if there is any way to set it in order to have the same angle for all the bends.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report