Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Springs used in multiple assemblies

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
rmckenna0315
250 Views, 1 Reply

Springs used in multiple assemblies

This is probably a newbie question. So no flames please.

I have a spring that is used in multiple assemblies and in each assembly the compressed length is different. Plus the amount of compression is different.

What is the best way to model the spring so if I change the WD or OD, etc. all assemblies would update?

I tried adaptive, but that seemed to limit the relationship to a one-to-one not a one-to-many.

If I used iPart or the spring was derived from a table, where the OD & WD were constant, would the assembly models change when I changed these values?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

What you've described is best solved by using multiple versions of the same file. This would best be done as an iPart, or as something that you've published into Content Center where the height is the changeable variable limited to the range provided by the manufacturer.

I say this because the height needs to change based on the compression, but a part can only be adaptive in one assembly at at time.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report