Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting a pyramid in half

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1299 Views, 9 Replies

Splitting a pyramid in half

I am creating three shapes out of a pyramid. I figure if I split the pyramid in half, I can create two, then mirror them and blend the two together to make the final design. I have figured out how to create a pyramid by extruding a cube with a taper.

My pyramid is 40mm x 40mm x 40mm. I need to cut it in half, diagonally, top to bottom. Any ideas?

When I have the pyramid in the workspace, I see nothing that I can select - that will allow me to create lines where I need to - to cut them out.

I'll add a logo in 3-d that I am trying to create. (also, I am using this project to familiarize myself with the software.)

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Loft to point would have been easier.

Create a sketch on the bottom plane.
Project Geometry diagonal corners.
Sketch line from corner to corner.

Split part.

This quick example might give you some ideas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

I'll give it a shot. Might be a couple days before I can try it out - thanks

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

ok. Tried what you said, but I'm not familiar enough with the program yet to find all of it. I've created lofts in SolidWorks, but can't find it in Inventor.

So, let's go about this a different way shall we?

See my image and see if there is an easy way for me to "grab" the corners and pull them to a point, as seen in my image below.

thx!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

thanks for the attachment, but it won't open - says, "Error in reading the RSe Stream," whatever that means.

I'll try again tomorrow. Back to work!

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

What version of Inventor did you say you are using?
(I'm using 2012 and the files aren't backward compatible.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hey, sorry it's taken so long for my reply, I'm really busy.

Yes, I have 2011. Is there a way you can save it as a legacy version? I know I can do this with Adobe software. If this is the case, I may just purchase SolidWorks. I already know the software very well, and it's so much easier to comprehend - and it works better on my sys, since AutoDesk has too many features.

I feel AutoDesk should make smaller programs with extra plug-ins or free programs you can add at your convenience - so if you only want minimal features, you won't bog down your computer sys with all the stuff you'll never use.

Just my opinion of course, and I'm a newbie, so what do I know?

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I am asking how to split the pyramid in half using a different approach... I have figured out how to make a cube split in half, now...

1. I want to bring up the corners - to match what a pyramid would look like if it were split in half. (see third image below.)

2. I have used AutoDesk Maya, and this is possible in Maya, but maybe not in Inventor?

I also show my biz logo "FWF," by the front view, with each letter in separate colors.

In "FWF2" image, I show the rear of the logo, and the rear of each letter, as they are separate letters.

Message 9 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I feel AutoDesk should make smaller programs with extra plug-ins or free programs you can add at your convenience - so if you only want minimal features, you won't bog down your computer sys with all the stuff you'll never use.

Smaller - Inventor Lt

Free - Inventor Fusion

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for your input.

I remember using similar software for Architectural Drafting in 1995 - and it worked well.

Thankyou - I'm dowloading it now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report