Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spiral (Coil) from the Axis

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
alan.rackham
1693 Views, 6 Replies

Spiral (Coil) from the Axis

I want to create a Spiral (Coil) that starts from a centre axis and revolve's three times with a pitch of 9.5mm.  My problem is that Inventor 2010 complains that the Axis Intersects Profile which is what I want.  Does anyone out there have a work around or a solution.  I have been trying to create this using the coil command.  The sketch contains a profile on the axis

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Allen.Bai
in reply to: alan.rackham

Do you want to create a Spiral coil with 0mm start radius?

Allen Bai
Senior User Experience Designer
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Message 3 of 7
alan.rackham
in reply to: Allen.Bai

Yes I want to create a spiral with a zero start radius.  I tried your Helical Curve in #D Sketch idea, but get a self intersecting error.

Message 4 of 7
Allen.Bai

It seems "zero start radius" spiral curve or coil cannot be created in Inventor. Entering 0mm for Diameter is treated as invalid expression when creating spiral curve, although it is actually not self intersecting.

I just try a very close zero value (0.00001), it works! or you can consider to import a 0-start spiral curve from AutoCAD to Inventor and then do some further operation.

Hope is helps.

Allen Bai
Message 5 of 7
alan.rackham
in reply to: Allen.Bai

Yes I had considered using AutoCAD to generate the solid, but I am not sure how I go about bringing that into Inventor and performing a subtraction of the AutoCAD solid from the Inventor part.  Can you help here...

Message 6 of 7
Allen.Bai

You can directly open the AutoCAD file in Inventor and then save it as Inventor data; or, you can import the file into an existing opened Inventor part file via "Manage->Import"; or, you can just place the file into an existing Inventor assembly file as component.

Allen Bai
Message 7 of 7
JDMather

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report