Inventor General

Contributor
Message 1 of 7 (709 Views)

Spiral (Coil) from the Axis

709 Views, 6 Replies
05-25-2011 05:05 PM

I want to create a Spiral (Coil) that starts from a centre axis and revolve's three times with a pitch of 9.5mm.  My problem is that Inventor 2010 complains that the Axis Intersects Profile which is what I want.  Does anyone out there have a work around or a solution.  I have been trying to create this using the coil command.  The sketch contains a profile on the axis

Employee
Message 2 of 7 (696 Views)

Re: Spiral (Coil) from the Axis

05-25-2011 07:43 PM in reply to: alan.rackham

Do you want to create a Spiral coil with 0mm start radius?

Allen Bai
Senior User Experience Designer
Design, Lifecycle & Simulation
Contributor
Message 3 of 7 (687 Views)

05-25-2011 08:31 PM in reply to: Allen.Bai

Yes I want to create a spiral with a zero start radius.  I tried your Helical Curve in #D Sketch idea, but get a self intersecting error.

Employee
Message 4 of 7 (646 Views)

05-26-2011 07:31 PM in reply to: alan.rackham

It seems "zero start radius" spiral curve or coil cannot be created in Inventor. Entering 0mm for Diameter is treated as invalid expression when creating spiral curve, although it is actually not self intersecting.

I just try a very close zero value (0.00001), it works! or you can consider to import a 0-start spiral curve from AutoCAD to Inventor and then do some further operation.

Hope is helps.

Allen Bai
Contributor
Message 5 of 7 (644 Views)

05-26-2011 07:47 PM in reply to: Allen.Bai

Yes I had considered using AutoCAD to generate the solid, but I am not sure how I go about bringing that into Inventor and performing a subtraction of the AutoCAD solid from the Inventor part.  Can you help here...

Employee
Message 6 of 7 (638 Views)

05-26-2011 09:39 PM in reply to: alan.rackham

You can directly open the AutoCAD file in Inventor and then save it as Inventor data; or, you can import the file into an existing opened Inventor part file via "Manage->Import"; or, you can just place the file into an existing Inventor assembly file as component.

Allen Bai
*Expert Elite*
Message 7 of 7 (626 Views)

05-27-2011 03:39 AM in reply to: alan.rackham

Attach your file here.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube