Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spacebar for panning and scroll wheel for orbit

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
austinhall
3863 Views, 11 Replies

Spacebar for panning and scroll wheel for orbit

Hi,

Can you please tell me how i configure my Inventor 2014 to use spacebar to activate panning like autocad 2014 and use the scroll wheel click + mouse move for orbiting the part?

At the moment i have all most all my design software to utilise spacebar as panning and it's a real disruption to the workflow.

Thanksm very much appreciated.

Austin

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CCarreiras
in reply to: austinhall

Hi!!

The space bar is used in Autodesk Software to use like "Enter" or repeat the last command.

It's a "system Key", youy can't change the setting.

You can use the mouse wheel to do panning, rotate and zoom, why using the space bar?!!

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 3 of 12
austinhall
in reply to: CCarreiras

Hi, thanks for your quick response. So far no one can provide the answer if this is possible or not only to change the way i work.

If its possible to change the spacebar to pan i would like to do it, i understand there are other ways of doing things that others may prefer too and this is something i would prefer.

I have been into the customize toolbar and can select pan and enter 'spacebar' next to it but nothing seems to change.

Thanks,

Austin

Message 4 of 12
CCarreiras

Hi!

No, you can't.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 5 of 12
JoAnn_Hogan

Hi There,

You can assign your own shortcut keys like you have them in AutoCAD. Go to your Tools tab > Customize command.

In the keyboard tab find the command you want to customize (like pan) and assign a new shortcut key.

Unfortunately you are not able to assign <Spacebar> as a shortcut key or the mouse wheel. But you can use other keys instead

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 6 of 12
JDMather

I think most here will recommend you get a 3D Connexion device.

Are you aware that Hold Mouse Wheel is Pan?

Are you aware that Shift Mouse Wheel is Orbit?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: JDMather

And just throwing it in there, if you want your zoom to be the same is in AutoCAD you can change the zoom direction.

Application Menu (Big I) > Options > Display Tab > Reverse direction

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 8 of 12
austinhall
in reply to: JDMather

Hi, thanks yes i'm aware of those combinations. 

I jut had a good way of working in Autocad 2014 and Solidworks and as i'm making the transition to Inventor i thought i could adjust the environment acordingly.

Thanks very helpful. Also using Inventor 2014 on parallels on Mac so really this is about minimising the variables to using this software within that envirnoment with the Mac keyboard and mouse and other software like CS6 and Autocad 2014.  

Thanks.

Everything is running smoothly.

Message 9 of 12
chad38

You use a mac? Well that stinks. Are they finally able to run things like inventor and solid edge and works WITHOUT having to do that bootcamp to windows thing?

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 10 of 12
SpartanK13

Came across this problem myself, figured out an actual solution. Sorry to necro the thread, but this is useful to me and hopefully to someone else.

Use a script. I would recommend AutoHotkey, for it's ease of use and programmability ( http://www.autohotkey.com/ )

I wrote and tested a script for this, using Inventor 2015. If you have a different version change the "#ifwinactive" lines.

Get AutoHotkey, save the attached file as a .ahk file, run it when you want the script to run. Shift+Escape will stop the script, otherwise it will run in the background (doesn't use much memory/CPU). Space will pan, Scroll wheel will orbit.

Please read the script (at least a cursory glance) before using it, foreign scripts have enormous potential to harm your computer (this one won't, but it's good practice and you have no reason to trust me).

Thanks!

Message 11 of 12
austinhall
in reply to: SpartanK13

Thanks i've actually become used to Inventor now and moved on from trying to change this aspect of it.

Hopefully someone tries this out and has some use for it, it sound slike a good solution.

Message 12 of 12
SpartanK13

I figured so, given the age of the thread. I transitioned from SolidWorks (learned at school) to Inventor (used at my workplace) over a few weeks, reaching similar proficiency in a month or two. 

However, I figured I'd leave this as a solution for anyone else transitioning software packages, and as a starting point for anyone interested in modifying how their keyboard interface works.

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report