Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solidworks Models in Inventor

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tycospard
506 Views, 6 Replies

Solidworks Models in Inventor

Running the 2012 Suite, One of my greatest needs is to bring SolidWorks models from our Engineering group into ShowCase and Max for training and marketing illustrations / animations. I imagine this must be done via Inventor.

However, having acquired sample SLDPRT and SLDASM files from Engineering for testing, I am unable to ingest the models into Inventor and see the result in the viewport. I believe certain parameters are coming in due to evidence in the file tree, however, I get no preview in the modeling window.

Furthermore, I receive the attached Error Report. Is this a version issue, a file formatting issue ... ?????

I know this is supposed to be possible - just can't figure out what I am doing wrong.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Brent Gaspard

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
rdyson
in reply to: tycospard

The plus sign will give you more info. Post an example for additional help.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 7
JDMather

@tycospard wrote:

Running the 2012 Suite,...., having acquired sample SLDPRT and SLDASM files from Engineering for testing,..

Brent Gaspard

What version of SolidWorks?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 7
tycospard
in reply to: JDMather

Knew you would ask ... was waiting on my Lead to email me back. They are running SW 2012

Message 5 of 7
JDMather

SWx 2012 was released AFTER Inventor 2012.
Inventor 2012 will not read SWx 2012.  (since SWx 2012 didn't even exist when Inventor 2012 was released)

Try Fusion 2013 instead http://labs.autodesk.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@tycospard wrote:

.... models from our Engineering group .

Have them save as a neutral file type STEP *.stp

EESignature

Message 7 of 7
tycospard
in reply to: JDMather

JD,

Thank you for getting back to me so prmptly.

May I ask ...

I am just getting back into this after a life changing accident and a career detour. As I assess the various AutoDesk components and their relative functions, I wonder if you might point the direction to some comprehensive tutorials that teach fundamentals of each pavckage and the interoperability of Inventor, ShowCase and Max interoperability?

I find myself in a workflow most requiring the import of our Engineering group's models out of SoldiWorks into AutoDesk apps to create classroom anmiations, illustrations, and high quality marketing materials.

Your gudance is MOST appreciated.

Thank you,

Brent Gaspard

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report