Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Saving Assemblies - Inventor 2013

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Roy1954
3682 Views, 10 Replies

Slow Saving Assemblies - Inventor 2013

When saving an assembly (iam) Inventor 2013 goes into (Not Responding) mode for a while before completing the save. This is very time consuming, if you hit the save again it will go through the same process instead of realising a save is not required. This did not happen in 2012. Parts are fine. Any suggestion?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: Roy1954

I have noticed the same thing saving also. I have also seen it "hang" when I close a file (ipt, iam, idw...).  It will close the file, but the windows blue circle thingy stays on the screen for a while.  Sometimes a couple minutes. I can open the same file again, then close it and it doesnt happen the second time.

Message 3 of 11
rhasell
in reply to: karthur1

Not busy with file migration by any chance?

Esp if it only happens once.

Possibly file caching, then the issue it with Inventor, or a setting?

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 4 of 11
trumpy81

Reg is on target in regards to caching.

When this happens again, open task manager in Windows and check to see which apps you have running besides Inventor and which app/s is/are consuming the most CPU time.

I recently found that wmplayer.exe can cause this type of behaviour, mostly because I am running a DLNA server that keeps wmplayer.exe loaded at all times, but you may have similar issues with other programs that are running in the background also.

wmplayer.exe (Windows Media Player) can also prevent Windows Explorer from copying and moving files.

This is in Windows 7 BTW. If you are using XP or Vista, the causes may be slightly different, but still worth investigating with task manager.

Regards
Andy M
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Pro SP1.1, Win7 Pro - 64Bit - SP1, Intel i7 960 @ 3.333 GHz
Asus X58 Sabertooth, Corsair 12Gig DDR3, AMD Radeon HD6970, Samsung 830 Series 256G SSD, 2x 3TB Seagate, 2x 2TB Hitachi,
1x 1TB Samsung, 4 x 2TB Seagate in Netgear ReadyNAS NV+, Dual Asus VE278Q Monitors
Message 5 of 11
karthur1
in reply to: trumpy81

When I close and Inventor is just sitting there spinning, Task Manager shows only one app using any CPU and that is Inventor. Its at 1%.

I will try turning off "Enable Quick File Open" in Application options and see if that is whats doing it.  I didnt have this problem in 2011 or 2012 and it was enbled.

Message 6 of 11

Hi Guys,

Do you see this while opening and saving any assembly or a particular one ?

What happens if you do a rebuild of the assembly and try to save it again. Can you able to reproduce the slowness ?

Have you played around with the graphic settings in the hardware tab. May be changing it Compatibility view can increase the performance.

Looking forward to your updates.

Vinod Balasubramanian
AutoCAD Industry Support & Escalation Lead

Message 7 of 11
smarshall

HELP...!!!

Same issue saving a large assembly (5000+ parts) over a network.

This was not an issue about 2 months ago.

Open large assembly takes 5 - 10 minutes..!

All subsquent subassembly openings from within large assembly take up to 5 minutes.

Exiting subassembly takes up to 5 minutes.

A configuration (menu change) within INV can take up to 5 minutes.

Not sure what system is doing (windows busy spinning logo and CPU core 1 @ 100% while INV says 'Not Responding').

VERY VERY ANNOYING.

AI 2013 Product Design Suite

Xi Computer

i7 950 (overclocked to 965 extreme @ 3.4 Ghz)

6 Gb RAM

500Gb 7200 RPM HD

Nvidia GeFource GTX 480 w/ 1.5 Gb RAM

Win 7 Pro 64 bit

Message 8 of 11
Roy1954

Thanks Vinod,

Changed my graphics to "Compatibility" setting and everything is ok.

Message 9 of 11
Adrian010

I have noticed the same thing, have close to 1500 parts in my sub assembly, it takes 10 minutes for inventor to do process a constraint or edit, it hangs up, drawing updates are slow, resolution to this issue with tech support has gotten me nowhere.

We also got a new Dell work station with some horse power and no dice. Inventor is a real slug past 400 parts, and its future is looking real bad.

Message 10 of 11
joseph.schaffer
in reply to: Adrian010

Same issue here with much smaller files.  It ran fast as heck when we were using 2009.  I changed to compatibility view, no luck.  Still slower than acceptable.  Any other suggestions anyone?

Message 11 of 11
blair

Check for back-ground programs running.

Are file stored locally or on a network server?

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums