Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Performance

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
486 Views, 6 Replies

Slow Performance

I've been having this problem off and on for quite a while and can't figure anything out.  Thought I'd post this and see if anyone else has seen anything like this.

I can be in any part / assembly and my system will suddenly start responding EXTREMELY slowly (but only for Inventor, all other programs are still responsive).

For example.  I'll be working on a new part (no other parts/assemblies open) and in the first sketch of the part (nothing else exists in the part yet).  Everything will be working perfectly fine.  Then at some random point I will have my system start grinding on the hard drive for anywhere from 2 to 5 seconds every time I select anywhere on the screen (such as when adding a constraint, line, dimension).  I'll immediatly check my system resources and typically I have over 2G of phyisical ram still free so it's not the system needing to suddenly start accessing the cache.

Close the file never helps.  I have to completely restart inventor and the problem will go away for a while.  Can't say a specific length of time between starting inventor and when it happens or any given action (however, I can say I notice it most often while in sketches).

I'm running 2011 on XP w/ 4Gig of ram.  The only addin that I have running is for a 3D connexion space navigator but I've confirmed I'm running the latest drivers for that.  Video is an NVidia FX1800 w/ the latest drivers there also (upgraded earlier this week and that didn't help any).

Any ideas?

Alan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
blair
in reply to: Anonymous

Check with your IT department, they might have maintenance programs scheduled to run at set times. Network managed software such as anti-virus software or back-up software may be scheduled during work hours.

Also look for any "Sync" software that may be trying to update Off-Line files.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Nope, It's not any kind of virus scan or maintenance programs.  It importing anything in from Autocad 2011.  Whenever I cut and past from Autocad into inventor or insert an autocad file into an inventor sketch the system become extremely unresponsive within 5 minutes (never immediately).  If I save and shut inventor completely down the problem goes away until the next import.  Happens 100% of the time.

Alan

Message 4 of 7
blair

Pulling in Acad files does cause Autocad to run in the background. Been like that for as long as I can remember.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

I do believe the issue was fixed in Service Pack 2 tho.  Just saw that it was available for download and tried an import out of curiosity after installing it.  Haven't had any issues with the system grinding on the hard drive since the import so I suspect they fixed it with the SP2.

Alan

Message 6 of 7
blair

Reason #145,223 to stay current on all Hot Fixes and SP's

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 7
kstate92

I believe I'm fully up to date (sig) and I still have five or six freezes a day in both Inventor and AutoCAD (and only them).  The freezes last about 30 seconds (spining blue circle, 'Not Responding' in the title bar).  I never lose anything and they never result in a crash, but it is getting really old.

I have quickly switched to Task Manager sorted by CPU a few times during the freezes, and the programs are sitting at zero CPU usage.  Just briefly, right before the freeze ends, I have seen something with 'Kernel' in the description column pop up in the task list just for second.  So I'm thinking the programs are waiting on the OS to finish something before being allowed to continue on.  I've seen and commented in a few other AutoCAD threads, but it must not be too prevalent.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report