Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketching problems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
priit
462 Views, 4 Replies

Sketching problems

Hi Need some help here. Sketch constraints are causing me constant problems. For example, if I lock one line and try to move another in relation to first, the locked line changes. Or constant error message says that sketch will be over constrained, if I add another constraint. I'm absolutely sure that the sketch is not over constrained. Or two arc are equal and connected with other lines, that are not connected. If i modify the radius, the error of over constraining appears. I delete all the lines and one of the arcs, also the radius dimension will be deleted. In result i just have an arc. Now, if I add dimension, the error appears. If I delete the circle and draw it again, for some time I can modify it. The number of such examples seems infinite. Some kind of Inventor memory problem (remembers old constraints allthough they are deleted)? Some hidden settings wrong? Really frustrated, work speed is near zero.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: priit

Attach example *.ipt file here that exhibits this behaivor.

I do not understand a reason for using Lock constraint (at least not in most cases).

I would not expect a beginner with little experience in geometry constraints to be using Locked - there is almost certainly a better way.

Attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
chad38

I bet if you changed, in Application Options, under the sketch tab, see image....if you changed this setting to "Apply Driven dimension", that when you through those dims on that sketch, you would get a dim placed that is in parenthesis (driven dim).

appop.JPG

I think an .ipt file containing the sketch geometry in question would be immensely helpful.

HP Z420 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E5-1603 0 @ 2.80 GHz 2.80 GHz
12.0 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit
3D Connexion Space Pilot
Solid Edge ST9 MP1

Inventor Professional 2015
Autocad 2015
SolidWorks 2015
Message 4 of 5
priit

Thanks for the replies so far. Ise have used locking for 2 cases:

1) when a spline must be fixed;

2) if adding constraints to line overrides constraints for some other lines, so called last resort for me.

The method for checking driven dimension is not the case, I need to add driving dimension. I added one problematic part, it's a gasket. In the sketch, at rigth side is a vertical line. The lines position measured horizontally is not assigned, at least in my mind. But if i add the dimension to lenghten the gaskets "hair", the sketch will be overconstrained.

It's just one example, some more weird problems have occured before.Never seen such behaviuour in other CAD-programs.

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

Everything looked normal to me (missing to constraints).

You do not need Locked constraints to define a spline point - only an x and y dimension needed. (I did not change these.)

Also, I would use construction lines of equal length rather than repeating dimensions so that only one dimension needs to be changed if the design changes.

I will try to post an "improved" sketch technique later today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report