Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketches in iam files

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
668 Views, 3 Replies

Sketches in iam files

Hello

I am creating cone clutch in Inventor 2013 Student. This is my first thing in Autodesk software. I Created shafts and bearing without problems but now I wanna do clutch cone. I am doing 2D sketch and then I want to revolve it to create 3D part. The problem is that This part is clearly visible in a preview when I am clicking on the sketch and on the revolve button, but after applying settings it disappears! I know that it is there as it covers a bit of the shaft. I attached screenshots to make it clear. I dont know what to do. I've done tutorial with bottle but there it is workig fine, but what i have noticed thare is different kind of project with ipt file. Also I found that I have to select sketch plane. At the beginning I highlighted the shaft as in the picture, then I used XY plane, but it did not solve the problem. Please advise me how to create this clutch cone. I need it also to be fully editable as I need to put it on the shaft , make some connection etc

Cheers 

Peter

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Note that in your first picture the preview is red which indicates a Cut operation.

In the real world if you have an assembly of parts - you can only cut material from them (unless using special operations like welding).

If you want to create a part at the assembly level you must select New Part and create the sketch for that part rather than creating the sketch in the assembly level for cutting the assembly.

This should have been covered by your professor.

New Part.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
harco

Features(revolve,extrude,etc.) in an assembly only cut material, this is what is clearly visible.

Look at your Inventor2 jpg it shows the cut through one of the shafts.

You cannot create material in assembly, except weldments (not applicable here).

Everything above your End of Features symbol shows a cutting operation, including fillets.

Start a new part, finish the sketch.

Switch to your assembly, copy the sketch you created in the assembly to make you part.

Switch back to your new part, expand the origin folder and right click on a workplane then paste the sketch.

Constrain and dimension the sketch contents properly.

Create your revolve from the sketch and you should now have your cone.

Save this part.

Go to assembly and place part, then use assembly constraints to fit it all together.

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Hi,

Thank you very much. Now it is clear for me

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report