Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch panel do not open when creating new part.

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
niko.machos
2120 Views, 20 Replies

Sketch panel do not open when creating new part.

I have a problem when I`m creating a new part in assembly.

I have done this thousends of time and last two days I have had this problem. I`m in assembly and I push a create button. Then I give it a name and OK. Then I push a plane where I want to make the part. New sketch comes but no sketch panel. I have to push right button from mouse and click finish sketch. Then when I go edit skecth the sketch panel comes like it suppose it to be.

Do I make something wrong or is it the Inventor problem?

I`m using Inventor 2011 

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
niko.machos
in reply to: niko.machos

Anyone?

I have noticed another failure too.  When I constrain parts in assembly and give two constrain to part. In this situation part suppose to be free at one axis but it doesnt move anywhere????

Where I should contact in this kinds of problems?? 

This is what it show. I`m in sketch mode and no sketch panelSmiley Sad 

Message 3 of 21

Hi niko.machos, 

If you go to the Tools tab > Application Options button > Part tab and look at the Sketch On New Part Operation, I'm guessing you'll find it set to No New Sketch.

Autodesk Inventor No Sketch for New Part.png

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 21
niko.machos

I looked the options and the problem isnt there.

Sketch is created in the part but sketch panel doesnt show...thats the problem. 

Message 5 of 21

Hi niko.machos,

What if you right-click on any panel and then choose Panels > Sketch as shown? You might need to check this from an assembly and a part file.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Autodesk Inventor Missing Sketch Panel.png

Message 6 of 21
JDMather

What sheet metal template are you using?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 21
ampster401

I noticed something in your screenshot, I do not see an entry listed in the browser for your new part, reference attached screenshot showing "test2" shown in the browser when I do this.

Message 8 of 21
JDMather
in reply to: ampster401

@ampster401 wrote:

I noticed something in your screenshot, I do not see an entry listed in the browser for your new part, reference attached screenshot showing "test2" shown in the browser when I do this.

I am seeing the same behavior as the OP and as you point out except that the sketch tab does appear.

The behavior does not match a regular part where everything else but the part node is grayed out.

This behavior looks like a bug to me - but doesn't repoduce the sketch ribbon problem.

Active Part.png\

In this image the Part5 is active part and therefore the node should be white.
Oh wait a minute the Sketch node in the browser is white (active) but not expanded.

This still doesn't match the standard part behavior where the node is automatically expanded and shows the sketch is active.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 21
ampster401
in reply to: JDMather

In my previous screenshot Inventor is set to "No new sketch" for a new part.  This morning I set it up so it starts a new sketch immediately, and now I see the same results as both of you, except I do see the sketch tools on the ribbon.

2nd-test.png

Seems like "Part1" should be white, but doesn't turn white until I exit the sketch...note yesterdays screenshot and the first screenshot in this msg were with the sheet metal template.  I just tried this process with the standard part template and the sketch is highlighted in white as it should like you mention JD;

3rd-test.png

This is on Inventor 2011 with SP2

Maybe the OP needs to update the SP's if they haven't already (no mention of SP level) or do a repair/reinstall to fix the missing sketch tools on the ribbon.

I concur there appears to be a bug with how the info is shown in the browser when using the sheet metal template in this manner.

Message 10 of 21
niko.machos

I have SP2. I quess that this problem started when Windows have installed latest update. That have been at saturday and problem started at monday when I first started Inventor.

I have this kind of problem when creating part too. New sketch doesnt come at all when I create part to assemply and I have in settings that sketch should be created. This is frustrating .

can you  guys say do Autodesk react these problems in this forum?? 

Message 11 of 21
ampster401

@niko.machos wrote:

can you  guys say do Autodesk react these problems in this forum?? 

sometimes they do.  The forums here were originally setup for peer to peer support.  Every now and then an Autodesk employee will respond but you can't always count on it.

Have you tried to do a repair or possibly a reinstall?

Message 12 of 21
niko.machos
in reply to: ampster401

I tried to repair installation and reinstallation. Problems didnt solve that way.

Message 13 of 21
niko.machos

I installed SP2 again and it started to workSmiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 21
Wavey1287

I have this exact same issue. No solution yet.
Message 15 of 21
Wavey1287
in reply to: Wavey1287

I have Inventor 2014, Trial version. I'm using the add-on, Woodworking (http://woodworkforinventor.com/). I'm not seeing a Service Pack 2 for 2014, however I am having the exact same bug as Niko.
Message 16 of 21
JDMather

@Wavey1287 wrote:
I'm not seeing a Service Pack 2 for 2014, ...

This thread is 2 yrs old - there is no Service Pack 2 for 2014.
Only SP 1 and Update 2 for SP1.

Message 17 of 21
Wavey1287

I realize. I installed SP1 for 2014 and the issue remained. I have to switch to sketch mode manually and reselect the sketch plane, so there's a work around. It isn't ideal. I'd prefer it if it would work like the tutorial I am watching. I'm not sure what version is being used in the tutorial video but it looks just like 2014.
Message 18 of 21
JDMather

@Wavey1287 wrote:
.... I'd prefer it if it would work like the tutorial I am watching. I'm not sure what version is being used in the tutorial video but it looks just like 2014.

What is the url and timestamp of the step where you are having difficulty.
You problem does not sound to me like the same problem that started this thread.

Message 19 of 21
Wavey1287
in reply to: JDMather

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHtdOl9ArDM#t=925 In the video, he clicks on the hinge to place the new part he is creating; Inventor automatically switches to Sketch mode. For me, there's no sketch tab visible and it doesn't switch to it. I can press "s" on the keyboard, and it will bring up the tab and switch to it. At that same time, these little sketch planes show up in the part (hinge), front back and side planes. I can then select the front plane and sketch on it as he does in the video. The front plane the comes up seems to be sharing the same plane as the surface he was trying to sketch on. I seem to have found a work around. I guess I'm just really curious why mine is behaving differently and if there is any adverse affects to doing it my way.
Message 20 of 21
JDMather

I assume you are referring to time 15:47 (I didn't bother to watch the entire video, I was expecting an exact time step reference.)

So, this doesn't look to me like anything to do with a "bug" in the program, but rather, how the Application Options are set up.

New Sketch.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report