Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch dimension is gone, but parameter controls sketch.

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
TCARPENTER_67
1030 Views, 16 Replies

Sketch dimension is gone, but parameter controls sketch.

I have a sketch where the actual dimension isn't displayed anywhere, but it's still in the parameter table and the sketch still responds to changes I make in the table.

I also, in other sketches, deleted dimensions to have them still hanging around in the parameter table and the only way I can delete them is by writing vba code to delete them.

Anybody else seen this before?  Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
cwhetten
in reply to: TCARPENTER_67

Can you attach a part that shows this behavior?

My first guess is that you have turned off the sketch dimension visibility:

Sketch Dimension Visibility.png

But even if the dimension visibility is off, the dimensions would still be shown when actively editing that sketch.  Do your sketch dimensions reappear when you directly edit the sketch (right-click the sketch and choose "Edit Sketch")?  If so, it's probably just this option.  If not, it may be something else.

Second idea is that you are having some issues with your graphics.  What graphics card do you use?  Do you have the latest drivers?

As for your second question:

@TCARPENTER_67 wrote:

I also, in other sketches, deleted dimensions to have them still hanging around in the parameter table and the only way I can delete them is by writing vba code to delete them.

Anybody else seen this before?  Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Are these parameters being used by other parameters?  If so, you can't delete them.  But if they aren't being used by other parameters, you should be able to right-click and choose delete.  Are you saying that it does not give you the option to delete when you right-click?  Or does it give an error when you try?  You might have to give some more information on this.

If you can attach a part that exhibits this behavior, that would really help us to help you.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 3 of 17

Cameron is right. Please check Dimension Visibility issue. If they are set to be visible, I suspect there could be some sort of corruption in the sketch leading to this behavior. If it is the case, please post the file here or send it to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) so I can take a closer look.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 17
swhite

Have any of these dimensions been linked to another part?

Steven White
Lee C. Moore, Inc.
www.lcm-wci.com
Inventor 2011
Intel Dual Xeon E31225 @ 3.1 GHz CPU
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 600 GPU
Windows 7 - 64 Bit
Message 5 of 17
TCARPENTER_67
in reply to: cwhetten

Okay - thanks for the replies - sorry for the disappearing act...

The dimensions do display as they should, and visibility is set to Expression.

The part is NOT linked to any other parts or assemblies.  I doubt it's a video card issue since all the others do display.

I have attached the part in question...

Thanks

Message 6 of 17
rdyson

Don't know what you did to get here, but see below to fix it.

Image1.png

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 17
TCARPENTER_67
in reply to: rdyson

I actually want the angle dimension back if it's possible, I inherited this thing and it's happened a time or two before so I was hoping there some easy way to bring it back - looks like I may be in for some code work of some sort?

No one else has run across this?  I've deleted unrelated dimensions in the past and found them hanging around in the parameters table still - must be something I'm doing, I'm just not sure what...

Message 8 of 17
rdyson

Did you delete the parameters like I said?

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 17
cwhetten

I see the same thing you do.  That angle dimension is there (changing its value updates the sketch accordingly), it's just invisible.  It's really strange, and I've never seen something like this before.

You can fix the problem if you delete the line segment shown below:

Thing3.PNG

Deleting this line will also remove the angle dimension.  Then you can re-create the line, add your colinear constraint again, and then re-create the angle dimension and rename it back to Angle.  I'm not sure why it happened in the first place, but doing this should get you back on track.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.

Message 10 of 17
rdyson

Or just delete the two constraints as I suggested and add a new parallel constraint to re-constrain.

Capture.JPG

PDSU 2016
Message 11 of 17
TCARPENTER_67

Looks like this is what I'm going to have to do - thanks all!

Message 12 of 17
cwhetten

I tried your suggestion, but it didn't seem to solve the problem.  The angle dimension was still invisible, even after re-constraining the geometry.  Did the angle dimension reappear when you did it?

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 13 of 17
rdyson

Yes, try dragging the line instead of deleting it (after deleting the constraints of course)

PDSU 2016
Message 14 of 17
cwhetten

Hmm...  Dragging the line didn't do it either.  I deleted the two constraints you highlighted, applied the parallel constraint, then dragged the line--no go.  I deleted the two constraints you highlighted, dragged the line, then applied the parallel constraint--no go.

This strange behavior is even stranger if it is different for you than for me.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Message 15 of 17
rdyson

Maybe something changed in 2014, see video

PDSU 2016
Message 16 of 17
TCARPENTER_67

Gotta second cwhetten's findings as well, and agree with rdyson, something must have changed in 2014.  Thanks for all the work guys, I appreciate it!

Message 17 of 17

Hi! The behavior is not right. I am not sure when this behavior started. Anyway, I am sending it to development for further review.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report