Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Mode: Dimension from Quad

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Talayoe
452 Views, 6 Replies

Sketch Mode: Dimension from Quad

Howdy all,

How does one (in sketch mode) dimension from the quad of a circle instead of the center? Been dealing with it for a long time, no I am fed up and want to dimension from the quad...! lol

tks!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Talayoe

Post file here so that I can be sure of your situation.

There is a special glyph that your cursor changes to - or simply add a construction line.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Talayoe
in reply to: JDMather

Hey JD,

Just for example sake I created this file. Square part (irrelevant) with a hole + keyway. I left (1) dimension off the keyway. When I measure a shaft (sample part?) I would measure from TOP of keyway to opposite side of bore. Thus giving me the distance to make my dimension from top of key to bottom quad of the circle.

Yes, I am being 'lazy'. Yes, I have been doing it where I do the math in Inventor (measurement from top of key to bottom of bore - (bore diam / 2)). This accompishes the same thing...or I can just dim. what I need any type it in.

Work smart, not hard...yes? 🙂

tks for the help!

-R

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Pick the line first, then move your mouse to the approximate quadrant point and hesitate.

You should see your cursor change glyph, click the arc now.

I am trying to get you a screen capture, but I do not have software on this machine that will capture the cursor.

BTW - I would use centerpoint rectangle and = constraints rather than double dimension and horizontal/vertical constraints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 7
Talayoe

Worked slicker than....well, worked great! Never noticed that goofy symbol before. Much to be learned today there is!

I tried a screen capture as well. I have never noticed before that it doesnt grab the mouse cursor with it. Strange!

Tks muchly!!

-Randy

----------------------
Inventor 2017 PDS
Message 6 of 7
JDMather

@Talayoe wrote:

I tried a screen capture as well. I have never noticed before that it doesnt grab the mouse cursor with it. Strange!

Tks muchly!!

Bugs me that I can't figure out a way to capture the cursor on the screen.  At work I have software that will grab the cursor, but at home I do not.  I was about to pull out my digital camera to take a shot of the screen as getting that glyph to pop up is a little subtle, do I dare say "trick".

Message 7 of 7
rdyson

I thought Print Screen would work, but it didn't capture the cursor. Had to use Snagit:

SNAG-0000.png 

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report