Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketch Block Pattern Edit Bug? Using Inventor 2014 SP1 Update 3

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cyberider
617 Views, 6 Replies

Sketch Block Pattern Edit Bug? Using Inventor 2014 SP1 Update 3

When I first create the pattern with a sketch block it works as expected. However when I edit the Pattern by changing the quantity of entities (sketch blocks in my case) to be "copied", the model browser can't keep track of the proper amount of sketch blocks anymore. The ONLY way I can change the quantity of sketch blocks I want in a pattern is to delete the pattern, create a new pattern with my new quantity and NOT change it. This becomes a problem because I'm trying to use sketch layout work flow with Create Component and that fails with all kinds of errors because the correct amount of sketch blocks are not being passed thru to the assembly file. Here's a screen shot. I also uploaded a part file for you to change the pattern quantity to see what I mean. It seems like a bug to me but I may be misunderstanding something...

This screen shot shows what happens if you create a sketch block pattern with 10 entities (copies) and then edit the pattern and change it to 7 and then back again to 10. Half of Inventor thinks there are 7 sketch blocks and the other half of inventor thinks there are 10 sketch blocks.

SketchBlockPatternBug_Screenshot.PNG

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: cyberider

Can you explain what the benefit is to using a pattern of sketch blocks rather than a pattern of features?

There might be a better technique.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/2010-Sketch-bugs-with-Build-223b/m-p/2521300

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
cyberider
in reply to: JDMather

I'm using a pattern of sketch blocks instead of a pattern of features because I'm using the "Layout" design process/workflow (aka top-down-design) as described in this Tutorial. I need to know the positioning of the pattern objects (sketch blocks) within the sketch, otherwise it is not much of a layout or process when much of the design is missing.

Eitherway way, regardless of my workflow method, the sketch block pattern should work and not bug out.

Message 4 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! the behavior is wrong. It looks like a sketch pattern corruption issue. For some reason the sketch block pattern occurrences are not showing up correctly, though they do appear in the graphics window. But, #8, 9, and 10 occurrences are missing from the browser.

Do you have a workflow leading to the corruption? In the meantime, I am able to clear up the corruption by editing the Sketch Pattern and changing number of occurrences from 10 to 2 and then back to 10. Could you try it out?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 7
cyberider
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for trying and replying!

When I edit the sketch pattern as you suggested; via the incontext pattern dialogue, it corrects the problem AND behaves normally with subsequent edits. No weirdness, everything is normal.

So I went back to the workflow I was doing and it bugged out again. The problem seems to arise when I edit the value NOT as mentioned above but instead via the manage parameters form.

Message 6 of 7
cyberider

The same weirdness also happens if you edit the spacing value for the sketch pattern via the manage parameters form. I didn't test Direction 2 inputs.

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! Many thanks for reporting this behavior! This is indeed wrong and I am able to reproduce it on my machine. Somehow adding new occurrences of sketch block pattern does not populate the corresponding sketch block icons in the browser correctly. I am reporting it as a defect and sending it to development for further investigation.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report