Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skateboard modelling (leading to backyard mold production)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
CAG_DRAFT
415 Views, 3 Replies

Skateboard modelling (leading to backyard mold production)

I've been making skateboards in my backyard for quite a while now, I have previously put together a dodgy model and then dodgily made a mold-set to produce those decks.

It's time for me to make a new mold and this time I want to do it better.

attached is my current attempt at modelling a skateboard blank, I'm not totally happy with this as I feel I should be able to perform one final thicken operation instead of the 5 I currently have, and I feel I've taken way too many steps to generate the shape.

The first reason I'm posting this is to hopefully solve that issue, and pick up some tips on how to reach this point with less work.

and

The second reason I'm posting this is to get some tips on how best to generate the mold pieces. (I don't have IV.Pro so I can't use the those tools)

I haven't really looked into that part of the process yet so I dont expect too much on that front.

I've looked around on here and other places online but have never found a deck model that I am happy with, if anyone has any links to share they would be welcome too.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
-niels-
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

If you use the stitch command just before you start your thicken it will work with just 1.

As for making the mold, i'd probably derive the model into a new part with a box shape (or whatever you need your mold to look like) and subtract the board.
Then put a split line where it needs to be and use the split command to make the 2 halves.

Hope this helps.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 4
stephengibson76
in reply to: CAG_DRAFT

heres one I did quite a few years ago, the software has changed loads since so I would maybe try a different way with 2014

Stephen Gibson

View stephen gibson's profile on LinkedIn

Message 4 of 4
rdyson
in reply to: -niels-

Actually I think multi body is going to be easier for this. 

So far as the tooling module in Pro, it would be way over kill and far too much work for this mold.

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report