Inventor General

Message 1 of 2 (269 Views)

Simulating Torque in Autodesk Inventor or Autodesk Multiphysics

269 Views, 1 Replies
04-27-2012 01:58 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently modeling a screw for a spinal implant for my Senior Design project and I am trying to analyze the amount of torque that it can withstand before breaking. I would like to simulate the screw being inserted into bone and see the pressure that the thread undergoes, however, I've only been able to apply forces along the Z and Y axis.

I would appreciate any help regarding this issue. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Employee
Message 2 of 2 (254 Views)

Re: Simulating Torque in Autodesk Inventor or Autodesk Multiphysics

04-27-2012 05:47 PM in reply to: xalan001

Hi xalan001,

You can apply a torque load instead of a force, it is labeled as moment.

I'm not that familiar with bone material, but I assume that the screw threads do not undergo plastic deformation.  It is non-trivial to do a non-linear analysis on threads...as only 2-4 threads hold most of the load at least when we're dealing with metal on metal.

If you need to include the compliance of bone, I suspect bone may have a non-linear stiffness [Edit: or it is considered a brittle material].  Therefore, this may require Autodesk Mechanical simulation.

Hope this helps...

Hugh Henderson
Simulation QA Engineer
DLS

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube