Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simulatig Air Drag on a cannon ball

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
someguyonthenet
1071 Views, 3 Replies

Simulatig Air Drag on a cannon ball

I am working on a project for school. I created a trebuchet but the ball goes way to far. I believe it is beacse there is no air friction. I have spent days trying to figure this out. Is there anyway in inventor pro to apply air friction on something like a cannon ball?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
henderh
in reply to: someguyonthenet

This is not possible with Dynamic Simulation "out of the box".

There may be a way to do it by applying a Force and using the input grapher with the drag force equation: F_D\, =\, \tfrac12\, \rho\, v^2\, C_D\, A

It would be fairly straightforward if the velocity was only in one direction.  With a parabolic trajectory, you'd probably need to apply the drag force using in two seperate external loads, that apply the horizontal and vertical components.

Hope this helps...

Hugh Henderson
QA Engineer (Fusion Simulation)
Message 3 of 4
mcgyvr
in reply to: henderh

Did you forget gravity? There are a 4 or 5 part video series showing exactly how to setup Inventor dynamic simulation with a trebuchet.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=504xOZcfcbM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 4
someguyonthenet
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thanks for the reply. Ya, I have seen the video out there with the trbuchet. I do have gravity, the curve looks good but just is too long because there is no air resistance. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report