Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrinkwrap hacks???

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
831 Views, 2 Replies

Shrinkwrap hacks???

It is my understanding that a shrimkwrapped part/assembly is similar to a "dummy" file in that it is design controlled and featues/tolerances are excluded.  We are in the process of converting from primarily ProE to Inventor 2011 release.  The engineers that have always used ProE claim that you can get past the shrinkwraped assemblies for use in reverse engineering our products.  In other words if I send out a shrinkwrapped assembly to a customer using real parts (not simplified files with no interrior geometry etc) the customer could somehow get the shrinkwrapped parts in the assembly to seperate and get the individual details or reverse engineer the assembly. 

I was brought up to believe that you should model with actual parts at all times and that shrinkwrapped assemblies were pretty safe to send out of the building.  The ProE engineers do not agree.  I send assemblies out as a composite using shrinkwrap, with no holes filled, no additional features included, and the link broken.

Does anyone have any information for me on this topic?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mflayler2
in reply to: Anonymous

If you don't patch the holes then it will not remove internal details and it could be reverse engineered, yes the file is dumb at that point, but you can still get a ton of measurements off it to reverse engineer.  Shrinkwrap is the answer but you should examie your output to make sure you couldn't recreate it yourself as well.

If it is a composite it will not seperate out into individual parts though.  Try using reduced memory mode as well to remove nodes from the browser just in case.  This will also make the file smaller.

You need to patch those holes though.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 3
Loren_J
in reply to: Anonymous

Shrinkwrap is only supposed to have exposed faces, hence the name. The easy way to test this is to section the resulting part. If you can't find  internal faces, then customers can't dissect it to get components.

LorenJ

Inventor 2011 Pro
Win7 64 SP1
Xeon W3550 @3.07 GHz
ATI FirePro V5700, 8.773.0.0
12 GB RAM

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report