Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrinkwrap and LOD Tutorials

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Verkim1302
868 Views, 4 Replies

Shrinkwrap and LOD Tutorials

Hi,

Can anyone point me to slow pace Shrinkwrap and LOD Tutorials?

Is there a difference in Shrinkwrap and LOD performace in Suite and Pro versions?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Loren_J
in reply to: Verkim1302

I don't have links to tutorials handy, but I do have some comments on shrinkwrap, derived parts, and LODs.

We have pretty large assemblies (20,000 - 50,000 instances of 2000 - 3000 components). We are going away from shrinkwrap because they don't show in the browser when they are out of date. You have to manually update the shrinkwrap, but you need to know there has been a change in a downstream component. Derived parts do show they are out of date, which is a significant advantage. Both shrinkwrap and derived parts take a long time to create. We typically let them run overnight.

LODs are just as fast or faster than a derived part when you are trying to work with it. For example, adding decks and handrails takes forever with a derived part. I think the problem is that you need to load more data when you create a constraint and it is more difficult to pull the information out a derived part. You should use an LOD to make the derived part since it simplifies the resulting part. Since you have the LOD, it makes sense to just use it. You should do some performance test with your models to see if there is a performance improvement with derived parts, and if it makes sense to spend the time making and creating the derived part and managing another file.

I am also seeing big performance improvements by using View Reps. I can load an LOD that suppresses internal parts, and than turn off visibility for the components I'm not working with. Once the model is loaded, generating the graphics seem to be the biggest performance hit.

LorenJ

LorenJ

Inventor 2011 Pro
Win7 64 SP1
Xeon W3550 @3.07 GHz
ATI FirePro V5700, 8.773.0.0
12 GB RAM
Message 3 of 5
Verkim1302
in reply to: Loren_J

Thank you.

I will try a couple of tests, once I learn how use LOD and Views of Rep properly. Our assemblies sizes are similar to yours. I will keep on serching for tutorials in all subjects.

Message 4 of 5
mflayler2
in reply to: Verkim1302

If you start using LODs, make sure your assembly templates are prepared...

http://blogs.rand.com/manufacturing/2011/03/inventor-assembly-templates-preparing-for-the-ginormous....

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 5 of 5
Verkim1302
in reply to: mflayler2

Thanks again.

I have reviewed the link. It has given me a better idea of combining the different behaviors between View of Rep and LOD.

Planning and effort will be required to use common labels to efficiently use at higher assembly levels. The next step is learn the Shrinkwrap and then combine it.

It is definitely part of my solution.

Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report