Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrinkwrap Parts disappear???!!!

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
csmac2004
4201 Views, 19 Replies

Shrinkwrap Parts disappear???!!!

Hey Guys/Gals,

So we were pretty excited about the new shrinkwrap feature in 2010. We deal with assemblies in the 100's of thousands of parts, so to manage them we were hoping to make use of this new feature. I know I could've done similar workflows in the past with derived assemblies, but due to many issues we could not utilize the feature then.

However, I just started working with this shrinkwrap feature and discovered that either it will be a great disappointment for us or I badly need some training here...

First of all, the most frustrating is that the parts disappear. My workflow is as follows:
1. Open an assembly
2. Create a shrinkwrap subsitute
3. Check the files into the Vault
4. Go to a higher assembly, and create a LOD that has the shrinkwrap substitute LOD active
5. Change the LOD back to master and then back to the shrinkwrap one again.
6. Result: One or more of my shrinkwrapped assemblies simply disappear.

The only fix that I've found so far is to open the shrinkwrapped sub-assembly, go to the Master LOD, and then back to the shrinkwrapped substitute LOD again. This seems to 'wake it up' again. However, this will not fix it permanently, as it will disappear once again.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong???

Inventor 2010
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
6 GBs RAM
NVIDIA GE Force 8800 GT

Thanks!

Scott
Scott MacDonald
Inventor 2013 Product Design Suite
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
csmac2004
in reply to: csmac2004

FYI, when you actually open up the IPT that is being used as the substitute, it opens fine and shows all that should be shown... Editing the derived assembly at this point does NOT make any difference in whether or not it will re-appear at the higher levels. Closing/opening Inventor does nothing as well.

Scott
Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Message 3 of 20
csmac2004

Ok, so this is really getting exciting (I'm being sarcastic in case you can't tell)... So, in my efforts to fix this issue that is fast becoming a reason to find the highest bridge I can and see if I can fly or not I have somehow managed to get it to do the same thing, but now to the Master LOD.

So maybe it is nothing to do with the shrinkwrap LOD's specifically. I was changing between the shrinkwrap LOD and the Master at the main assembly when suddenly, all my sub-assemblies disappeared... However, changing each LOD to something OTHER than 'Master' or the shrinkwrap LOD and then back to Master again fixes it here.

Oh my goodness, I need to go back on vacation... But seeing as how I just came back from one today, I'm not sure if that will fly with management here...

All I can say is, "At least its 5 minutes 'till quitting time"...
Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Message 4 of 20
csmac2004

Great.... So I had my colleague try this on his computer and it works fine for him... Great! So at least I can probably say its just me or my computer that sucks and not this new functionality...

Scott
Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Message 5 of 20
csmac2004

Ok, so that was a fun post to myself...

Anyways, after all that ranting, I went onto the Certified Graphics database website, downloaded the latest driver for my card (albeit for Inventor 2009), and it works this morning. Was it the driver? Or was it the reboot? Not sure, but either way its working now and I can stop freaking out... Thanks for all your help! Hah! 🙂 I mean, just let a guy flounder 'till he learns how to swim on his own is a very good technique, so thanks!

'Till we meet again...

Scott
Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Message 6 of 20
johnsonshiue

Without seeing a file or a video, it is a bit hard to tell where the problem is. Are the files you are working on properly migrated to R2010?
Thanks!

johnson.shiue@autodesk.com

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 20
csmac2004

Thanks for the reply. I didn't mean to sound bitter or angry with my last post, I'm in a much better mood this morning and was just trying to joke at my own expense... 🙂

Anyways, they are files that were created in 2009. We migrated both by the Task Scheduler, and whatever didn't get migrated by that we've been migrating as we open/save the files individually.

Nonetheless, it seems to be working today so I'm thinking my video driver was the culprit and therefore I am to blame for not updating it sooner!

Thanks!

Scott
Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Message 8 of 20
csmac2004

Oh boy.... it's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

Well, so much for thinking I had it resolved. I created new shrinkwrap LOD's on a different main assembly today and the same thing is happening again. I can close and re-open the file, and its OK the first time, but if I re-activate the shrinkwrap LOD all the shrinkwrap parts disappear (no errors or warnings).

This time I did make a video (http://www.screencast.com/t/0hJXHibNf). I only use the free version of Jing, so I have no fancy editing nor do I have many options for file format (it will only save as a SWF file format). If you want the SWF (which does play in Internet Explorer anyways with the adobe flash player plug-in installed) I can email or FTP it to you. It was apparantly too big to attach here.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
Scott MacDonald
Vault Professional 2013
Windows7 x64
Message 9 of 20
BrianBolam4894

I'm having the exact same problem in 2011.  Another user here has installed SP1 for 2011, and it did not fix it.

Brian

Message 10 of 20
Loren_J
in reply to: BrianBolam4894

I'm also having this problem. On Friday, I created a shrinkwrap of an assembly with 15,000 instances of 1800 components. It reduced the memory footprint and I was able to work much faster in the top level assembly. This morning, I opened my assembly and a lot components were missing from the shrinkwrap. These components were primarily imported IGES files. If I open the shrinkwrap, it initially looks OK, but an update causes the components to disapear. The shrinkwrapped assembly has not changed. I tried to work in the asembly without updating the shrinkwrap, but the first time I placed a constraint between two components, which didn't involve the shrinkwrap, it went into a 20 minute update that lost the components.

I used the solids option for the shrinkwrap because I will probably have to create some section views. We have had problems with shrinkwraps crashing when creating section views, and the help states that shrinkwrap surfaces should not be used with section views.

I have the latest graphics driver, and I don't think it is graphics related because it consistenly occurs during the shrinkwrap update.

This is really bad because the missing components are ones that I constrained to when placing new components. Not only are all of constraints broken, I can't fix them. I am under a tight deadline, and I can't afford to lose a day's work.

Inventor 2010 SP3

HP Z400

Intel Xeon W350, 3.07 Ghz

ATI FirePro V5700

Windows 7 64

LorenJ

Inventor 2011 Pro
Win7 64 SP1
Xeon W3550 @3.07 GHz
ATI FirePro V5700, 8.773.0.0
12 GB RAM
Message 11 of 20
Loren_J
in reply to: Loren_J

I tried logging a support request, but the new website is badly broken. So much for getting value for our subscription money.

LorenJ

LorenJ

Inventor 2011 Pro
Win7 64 SP1
Xeon W3550 @3.07 GHz
ATI FirePro V5700, 8.773.0.0
12 GB RAM
Message 12 of 20
Vitornis

Im having a similar problem with Subsitute parts disappearing.

Message 13 of 20
MikeDeith3062

I've also had a problem with shrinkwrap items disappearing when constraining components to them. Seems to be an intermittent fault as it only happens sometimes.

Message 14 of 20
juhop
in reply to: MikeDeith3062

Same problem here!

Started when upgrading to 2011.

Open an assembly in LOD with shrinkwraps. Allmost blank screen. Open a subassembly- empty screen -> change LOD to master ( wait for 5 to 10 minutes ) and assembly becomes visible. No update or saving is required.

Open the main assembly again and previous subassemlys shrinkwrap is visible.

Do this for the other invisible subassemblys and you have your main assembly LOD with shrinkwraps completely visible like it should. No saving or update is needed. About 1 hour of working time lost. Close and open again. Random quantity of shrinkwraps invisible again.

This has been going on for allmost a year. Frustrating.

Any fix?

Or should we just ditch shrinkwraps and buy more powerfull computers...

Message 15 of 20
Niftythang

Sorry if there has been more discussion on this elsewhere, but is there a fix for this yet?

I'm having the same issue in Inventor 2011 w/ 64-bit O.S.

HUGE WAIST OF TIME when the shrinkwrapped geometry just completely disappears while trying to update the file and that same file is used with constraints inside a separate assembly.  You have to start all over again with hundreds of constraints and this is not acceptable.

PLEASE HELP!  Thank you.

Message 16 of 20
Niftythang
in reply to: Niftythang

Message 17 of 20
Niftythang

Hello, is this thing on? Robot Sad

Message 18 of 20
Niftythang

Bump ^^^^^^

Message 19 of 20
AbelDoodeman
in reply to: Niftythang

same problem here. shell assy won't shrinkwrap. only first base component stays.........

inventor 2012 sp2 64 bit

no solution found. bugger................

Do not force it, get a bigger hammer !
Message 20 of 20
DARIMFF

HELLO GUYS (CHIQUILLOS), THE SOLUTION FOR THIS ISSUE IS REMOVE ALL TEMPORAL FILES OF YOUR PC, INVENTOR SAVE THIS FILES AND CREATE THIS PROBLEMS. REGARDS . DARU

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report