Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shrink Wrap

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
3127 Views, 16 Replies

Shrink Wrap

I am trying to use Shrink Wrap to reduce a file size and create a simple external view model of an assembly.  The original file size is 2.7 MB, the shrink wrapped version comes out at 12.7 MB.  This is using the default settings.  Any way to make this actually work as it is supposed to??

Tags (1)
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

I am trying to use Shrink Wrap to reduce a file size and create a simple external view model of an assembly.  The original file size is 2.7 MB, the shrink wrapped version comes out at 12.7 MB.  This is using the default settings.  Any way to make this actually work as it is supposed to??

Is this a Shrinkwrap of a single part or of an assembly to a single part?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I am trying to shrinkwrap an assembly, specifically an ABB robot to a single file.

Message 4 of 17
JDMather

If it is an ABB robot you should be able to provide a download link to the specific model so that others can experiment.

Are you doing as Composite or Solid? Have you set to remove any details?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

When I shrinkwrapped I used the default settings accept for deselecting Work Geometry and Sketches in the Include other objects pane.  The *.iam file I am using is too large to attach.

Message 6 of 17
mcgyvr

Is the 2.7megs the file size of the assembly file itself? Because that does NOT include any of the parts used in that model

So you might/should have an actual model size much larger than that and in that case shrinkwrap might be working as it should.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 17
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

The *.iam file I am using is too large to attach.

As noted by mcgyvr: The aim size does not include associated ipt files, but I was expecting a url to download from the manufacturers website and expecting a STEP or IGES.  Do you have it as native Inventor files?  Where/how did you get the model?

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous

I also am having problems with shrink wrap. We need to simplify larger models down. While trying to learn this i am shrinking smaller models to see how it works. I have an .iam with the size of 5,250 kb and when i do the shrink wrap on default the .ipt comes out to be double the size of the actual assembly.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

also included in this model are some imported .stp files from Aveva E3D

Would that be the problem?

Message 9 of 17
jtylerbc

mikebowler300,

As some of the previous posts in this thread noted, the size of the assembly (.iam) file does not include the data contained in the part files (.ipt).  Because of that, it isn't really accurate to compare the size of the shrinkwrap part to the size of the assembly.

It would be more accurate to compare the size of the shrinkwrap part to the total file size of the assembly and all of the parts it contains.

Message 10 of 17
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:
... the .ipt comes out to be double the size of the actual assembly. 

I don't believe this statement.
Can you attach the assembly and the resulting shrinkwrap *.ipt file here (or to A360)?

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: jtylerbc

My other problem is when i open my derived part, it takes an awful long time and more times than not Inventor will freeze up and crash. But when i open the main assembly which the derived part was made from i have no problems it opens fast and there is no crashing involved.

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

attached is a small model of a flopgate chute first atachment is main chute

second attachment is the derived part

Message 13 of 17
JDMather

The assembly you attached is missing ALL of its parts?

In the Derived part there are a lot of details that probably aren't needed (especially on the bearings as these are off-the-shelf components).

Message 14 of 17
rdyson

This is what I see when I open the IPT:

Capture.PNG

And this is what I see when I open the IAM. Which do you think should be the larger file?

Capture2.PNG

PDSU 2016
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: rdyson

i agree the derived part SHOULD be smaller but why do i have so many problems with crashing

Message 16 of 17
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

i agree the derived part SHOULD be smaller but why do i have so many problems with crashing

No, that is wrong.
See post # 6 in this thread.

You seemed to be missing a fundamental concept here.

You did not respond to my post that there was nothing in your assembly that you attached here?

An assembly file (*.iam) is nothing more than a list of where to find the part files and instructions on how to put them together.

So the file is just a few instructions - no parts.

For a complete assembly - you must include all of the parts.

An assembly in Inventor (or in the real world) is useless without any parts.

Now you have also introduce another issue in to this thread. Crashing.

I recommend that you solve that issue before all others.

Message 17 of 17
rdyson

>You seemed to be missing a fundamental concept here.
Kinda missed my point as well

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report