Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheetmetal part with Unfod, make Face, Refold

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
brendan.henderson
1125 Views, 9 Replies

Sheetmetal part with Unfod, make Face, Refold

Looking for some assistance on getting this part feature modelled better. It Flat Patterns fine and the resultant DXF is okay (most important for our plasma cutter).

My workflow : I used Contour flange for the main body, added some flanges for some alignment/assembly tabs on the flat faces, then did an Unfold and created a sketch on the flat of the curved section. I used Face to turn these into more tabs. I then used Refold to obviously refold the part and this is where I got an error shown in the next picture.

sheetmetal_error.jpg

I can progress past the error and Flat Pattern the part but the Refold node shows there is a problem. I don't like leaving models with issues like this.

In the next picture you can see that there is a line where the new Face joins with the Contour Flange. It looks strange but Flat Patterns okay and without the line. Still, I don't like it.

Can anybody share some insight into where I have gone wrong or into another method to make these tabs on the curve? The part file is attached incase someone takes up the challenge. Just move the EOP marker. Cheers.

sheetmetal_part.jpg

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
BeKirra
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Sorry, your part "36380-06100_FRAME_BLOCK.ipt" is missing.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 3 of 10
brendan.henderson
in reply to: BeKirra

Bugger! Can't believe I made that mistake. Attached is a zip of the parent and Frame_Block.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Message 4 of 10
BeKirra
in reply to: brendan.henderson

It is most likely a logical problem.

You "flatten"ed the sheet from a fold model then add tabs to it. Then you try to refold the model with the tabs.

It would work if you built the tabs to the other parts.

It may confuse Inventor. Inventor is not smart enough.

The way to get it done is that create tabs to the flat sheet then fold the model.

This only works if the thickness of the tabs is same as the sheet's.

HTH.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 5 of 10
pcrawley
in reply to: BeKirra

Rewind the model back to Mirror 5.

When picking the stationary face for the Unfold, pick a flat face - but remember which one!

Now pick that exact same face again to start your sketch for the tabs.

If you have the auto-project edges thing turned on, notice how it doesn't include the edges of the unfolded section...

Use Projected geometry to bring those edges into the current sketch.

Draw the tabs (just try one to make sure this works!)

Create the Face

Refold - picking the same stationary face again.

Nice?

Peter
Message 6 of 10

Hi Peter.

Your workflow is pretty much exactly what I did, except for creating the sketch on the exact same Face used for the unfold.

So I tried it again, following your instructions (I don't use auto-profect edges) and I got the same result. Same error message, same lines showing an apparent divide between the new Face and the previous Thicken.

I appreciate your input. If you have the time here is a link to a short video showing my workflow which is as you detailed. Maybe you can see something I did wrong. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-gsQtdmsZzzSjlwWGFrZW9tRWM/edit?usp=sharing

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Message 7 of 10

What is the purpose of WorkPlane1?
Isn't it the same as the XY Plane?

(back in a bit with my "solution")

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

This is a bit of a quick and dirty fudge - but should give you some ideas.  (just my dimensions - the process itself is rock solid)

Use the Project Flat Pattern and Cut Across bend functionality (that existed before we had Unfold/Refold).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 10

Thanks JDMather. That solved it. Not as intuitive as the previous attemps but usable.

The extra Workplane was for 'buggered if I know'. Gone now.

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

Message 10 of 10
cadman777
in reply to: pcrawley

Making sure I used the same face for unfold/refold worked for me. Thanx!!

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report