Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal from solid body

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
pn
Explorer
436 Views, 7 Replies

Sheet metal from solid body

I'm trying to make a sheet metal guard from a solid.  I can make it directly in sheet metal, but with all the different angles it is somewhat complicated.  I have it almost done, but I get error codes trying to build the last bend and the corner do not clean the gap very well.  Anyone has an idea on what is not working well in this drawing?  

See file attached.  

Thank you 

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: pn

@PN wrote:

...trying to build the last bend ..

Thank you 

Put it in there using the standard tools so that I can figure out your design intent.  (doesn't have to be pretty)

(or is it there already?  there is a missing bend along one edge)

Is something like attached what you are after (it looked to me like you were doing too much work)?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
pn
Explorer
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks!  That's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.  I never really used the surface tools, didn't know you could go around issues like that this way.  The bend I was talking about was the already there, nothing else to solve. 

Problem solved! 

Message 4 of 8
benV7THH

Hi Guys, I downloaded the 2 file sand can see the difference but haven't been able to work out how you achieved the finished result. I am trying to brake this up in the 3-5 sheet metal components. but I don't seem to be able to get it to work. Do you guys have any tips?  

Message 5 of 8
benV7THH
in reply to: benV7THH

I have attached a 2nd file so you can see what I'm trying to do and hopefully spot the issue.

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: benV7THH

@benV7THH 

You should have started a new thread with a link back to this one for reference.

First we will have to address several issues.

Your Sketch1 is not fully defined, and given the obvious symmetry it would have made logical sense to locate the Origin at the midpoint of the 1986 or 850 line.

Sketch5 is sick.   (Note the unresolved i in circle in the browser and the pink geometry.)

Sketch4 is unconstrained and not really logical.

Workplane1 is not needed.

No Bends.

Are you ready to do this right?

Exactly how many sheets will be used to actually manufacture this?  One (if even possible) or several sheets welded together?

Edit: Also - iProperties would seem to indicate that you have not installed the Updates for your version of Inventor.

I recommend that you go to http://manage.autodesk.com and get those Updates before we get started.

JDMather_0-1665491618016.png

Note the position of the Origin.

The horizontal lines are single lines constrained at the midpoints (not two double lines).

Attach Sketch1 as shown...

JDMather_1-1665492150877.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 8
benV7THH

Hi JD, Thankyou for this. I will go back and fix all of these issues, and post back with my progress or questions.

I am looking to make it from 5 components using bending and welding to join them.  

Message 8 of 8
benV7THH
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JD, Thankyou for this. I will go back and fix all of these issues, and post back with my progress or questions.

I am looking to make it from 5 components using bending and welding to join them. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report