Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal difficulties

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mdturner710
458 Views, 6 Replies

Sheet metal difficulties

Hi, 

I modeled this part and then converted to sheet metal so I could lay it flat and then have it laser cut for prototypes. However, I went in and assigned the bends it creates this extra cut out space for a punch but I dont want that. How do I go about making it just lay flat? What have you guys done to make something like this laser cutter compatible?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mdavis22569
in reply to: mdturner710

I don't think you'll be able too..

Extrusion 3 and 5 weren't done in Sheet metal ... therefore they can't go flat

I believe without going into it to far.. You'd want to put those bends in after you notch the squares ~ Extrusion 9

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
alewer

As the error message suggests, you have interfering plates. One of your tabs is interfering with your main body (see my attached image).

I modified your model to remove the problem area. It flattens, but it still requires a great deal of cleanup. Even though you can get it to flatten, there is no reason to use extrude+bend to create this model. It can (and should) be done with sheet metal features. You should also fully constrain your sketches.

Message 4 of 7
mdavis22569
in reply to: alewer

Nice ...you went in much deeper than I did ...

It looks a lot better 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
BeKirra
in reply to: alewer

I think that mateo710 has problem with creating bends as I had the same before.

And what you've pointed out is right, the flat pattern would be perfectly without any errors when all interferences are fixed.

To mateo710,

There won't be a problem if some features are created by using simple extrusion.

I attach a sample which has a tab made by "bend" while another made by "extrusion". Hope it would help you a little.

Please mark "Accept as Solution" and "Like" if my reply resolves the issue and it will help when others need helps.
= ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ = ♪ = ♫ =
A circle is the locus of a cursor, starting and ending at the same point on a plane in model space or in layout such that its distance from a given coordinates (X,Y) is always constant.
X² + Y² = C²
Message 6 of 7
mdturner710
in reply to: BeKirra

Awesome thanks guys that helped a ton. I got one more quick question, I'm trying to make than L shape on this bracket that's parallel to the face. I can't figure out how to make a second flange coming off the first

Message 7 of 7
WHolzwarth

Something like this, Mateo?

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report