Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet metal - Lofted flange between 3D sketched

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
976 Views, 2 Replies

Sheet metal - Lofted flange between 3D sketched

Idealy the function I am looking for is a sheet metal lofted flange between 3D sketch, but on searching it dosent appear Inventor can do this.

I can create what I am trying to achieve by breaking the surface down into trianges using a 3D sketch and creating a new face on each triangle. This forms the shape I am trying to achieve but it is very tedious and controlling chord tollerances etc becomes very dificult.

I have included the sample part with the surface I want to turn to sheet metal so it can be flat patterned, And a section that had been done with my  current method.

Are there any other ways of achieve this?

Thanks Owen

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've always wanted to know if there is an easy way to do it as well. From what I can tell, Inventor doesn't do "deformed" parts, like an archimedes screw. I believe the logic is simple, just alternating up and down bends, but getting IV to do this in a fast and efficient manner is another story.

Any one else know of a method?

Message 3 of 3
pcrawley
in reply to: Anonymous

Lofted flanges work when the input geometry is 2d sketches and does not include splines (2d or 3d).  The orientation of the two input sketches is largely irrelevant (within reason of course - they can intersect eachother!) - and the profile-types are extremely flexible (so you can go from open to closed profiles etc).

If your design can be reverse engineered to this level, then there's a good chance the lofted flange will work.

Owen - see pm for my take on your problem 😉

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report