Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Flat Pattern Size Glitch

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mikew
708 Views, 6 Replies

Sheet Metal Flat Pattern Size Glitch

After having a formed sheet metal part finish the wrong size (.100" long on all sides), I discovered a glitch with the sheet metal flat patterns sizes being.

I created two identical parts, one in IV2013 and one in IVP2014, and came up with two different flat patterns. The two parts are 100% identical. The volume is identical for both, and I did an assembly overlay to double check (everything lined up perfect). However, the flat pattern on the IV2014 part was 0.130" shy of what it should be (total length in both directions).

I haven't been able to recreate this (happened with this part and with a different part that we had formed), but you shouldn't ever have to worry about something like this. I created the same part in 2014 for a second time from scratch and it then came out to the correct dimensions, which worries me even more that this is an intermittent problem.

The JUNK file is the one with the incorrect length.

Thanks for any help on this!

Also, another IVP2014 issue I have been having is when saving a drawing as an AutoCAD drawing it saves it as a 2013 AutoCAD in a zip file instead of a 2007 as a normal file like I have it set up to. If I click "Options" when saving, then click cancel without selecting anything, it saves it correctly. Not a huge issue, but annoying to have to remember to open and close the options every time.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jletcher
in reply to: mikew

Was all the bend deductions set up in the 2014?

Message 3 of 7
mikew
in reply to: jletcher

Unless I screwed up and changed something while trying this everything is the same as default, and nothing was changed from the first part to the second (other than the flat pattern dimensions). It's possible this is something on my end, but the other part (the one that was formed and came out .100" long on all sides) was on another employee's computer on IVP2014.

Message 4 of 7
jletcher

Yes if he set up bend deductions different from yours and you do not have the styles linked.

Do you work from one style on the server or on the persons computer?

Message 5 of 7
mikew
in reply to: jletcher

We are both running the same settings.

Also, maybe I was confusing in the first post, but both of the files I linked have different flat patterns with the same models, and both were created by me without (unless somehow unknowingly) changing any settings. That's what worries me about the whole thing is that with everything else the same Inventor produced two different flat pattern results somehow.

Message 6 of 7
Martin_Goodland

I opened both files and 2014-T3 is using 'By Sheet Metal Rule (Default_KFactor)' as the unfold rule, JUNK-14 is using 'BendCompensation'. Is it the use of two different rules that is causing the discrepancy you are seeing ?

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 7 of 7
mikew
in reply to: Martin_Goodland

That solved it, thanks. No idea how that setting changed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report