Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Dimensioning

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Rhymesayer
589 Views, 17 Replies

Sheet Metal Dimensioning

I am pretty new to sheet metal design and this is probably really easy but to simplifiy I have a 5x7 sheet metal rectangular part that I want to dimension from end to end AFTER the flanges are added. I am adding 45 degree flanges on each end and want an end to end dimension NOT the initial rectangle. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.  

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: Rhymesayer

in a drawing (idw) or in the part file (ipt)?

Got a picture/sample/ipt to share?

Are you talking about dimensioning to a virtual intersection of a radius or something?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 18
Rhymesayer
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes I do. I just want to add a dimension like the one shown. My original drawing is just the rectangle before the flanges were added. I want dimensions from end to end. It is going to be welded on the ends to another piece of equal size. 

Message 4 of 18
Cadmanto

Welcome to the forum.

I am confused.  Are you asking how to create an end to end dimension from the premose that you tried adding a dimension and it didn't work for you?

Or as you asking if this is the norm for a sheet metal part to dimension this way.

Unless I am missing something it is pretty easy in the .idw drawing to add a linear dimension whether it was in your original model sketch or not.

At least based on your image.  If you are now talking about dimensioning to a virtual sharp that is a little bit trickier, but that did not look to be the case based on your image.

If you could clarify this, it would be helpful.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 5 of 18
Rhymesayer
in reply to: Cadmanto

Sorry for the confusion. I even confused myself. The first picture shows my original drawing. Those are the dimensions that I need from end to end as shown in the second picture. Let me know if that helps. I am sure it is really easy but if I just add those dimensions I am over-contraining the sketch.

Message 6 of 18
Cadmanto

Ok, so you are trying to place this dimension in the sketch within the part and not on a drawing view?  If that is the case then I appologize.  I thought you were talking on a drawing view.

If this is in the model sketch and the dimension is over contraining the sketch, why do you need it there and not on a drawing view.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 7 of 18
Rhymesayer

Well I want it in the drawing view, but I can only do it BEFORE the flanges are added. I want those dimensions that I have in the first picture to be the actual dimensions FROM END TO END after the 45 degree bend is in there. Added one more picture that may help you out. 

Message 8 of 18
Cadmanto

No, I get what you are trying to do, I just can't figure out why you are having difficulty doing it in the drawing.

Maybe I need to see you model to fully understand this.  Can you post your model so I can play with it?

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 9 of 18
Rhymesayer

Sure, no problem. Thanks again. 

Message 10 of 18
Cadmanto

Are you talking about something along these lines?

See attached file.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 11 of 18
Rhymesayer

Those are exactly the dimensions I need but just with the other numbers. 29.126" x 35.75" 

Message 12 of 18
Cadmanto

Try this one.  See if this is what you are looking for.

See attached.

New EE Logo.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 13 of 18
Rhymesayer

Okay I see where the confusion is now! The 41.41 needs to be replaced with 35.75 and the 34.78 need to be replaced with 29.126. I need those outter dimensions, as viewed from above, 29.126 x 35.75. Instead of back calculating what the length on the flanges are, I want the ipt file to be easily editable based on those VERY VERY OUTER dimensions. 

Essentially, make the 41.41 and 35.75 editable so I can edit them to any dimension I choose. That make sense?

Message 14 of 18
JDMather

I didn't take a look at your drawing problem, but it looked like maybe you are doing too much work in modeling (see attached).

Then it occured to me that maybe you want to simply enter the desired Length, Width and Height. (see attached)

Oops, I forget the corners on the Rev1 example, but you get the idea.

I think I had the flanged thickened to the wrong side as well. (see Rev2)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Every time I read this - it seems like a different problem description?

Where did this come from. "I have a 5x7 sheet metal".  Units?  Feet? Inches? mm?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 16 of 18
Rhymesayer

Ding ding! JD got it. The Tray Rev1 is exactly what I need. I can take it from there. I am trying to figure out your methodology. Looks fairly simple. Thanks again to the both of you. 

Message 17 of 18
Rhymesayer

JD, 

I was trying to make it simple to explain without posting any drawings. I am new to the site and just didn't know what kinds of files we could upload.

Message 18 of 18
JDMather

Check the others - I don't think Rev 1 is what you were after (not corner chamfers and the Countoured Flange should thicken to the inside if I follow your problem description.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report