Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sheet Metal Cylinder Help

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dalech
333 Views, 3 Replies

Sheet Metal Cylinder Help

Hi,

Im new to inventor and ive made a cylinder using the sheet metal function and i want to cut holes into its side, i selected "cut" but it pops up with an error saying "No unconsumed sketches on the part" i dont know what this means, and dont know how to cut holes, help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2; Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS MB Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SeanFarr
in reply to: dalech

You need to create a sketch on the Cylinder

Whether it is a shape (for a cut) or a point (for a hole)

Depending on the application, you may need to unfold and refold the cylinder,(not flat pattern), all work done in the flat pattern will not retain to the part once you go back to the folded part.

Good Luck!

Edit:

You should always mention what version you are using and system specs, just so people know, it is one of the factors when replying/helping someone.

If you have Inventor 2014, here is a part that required the unfold/refold process.

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 3 of 4
dalech
in reply to: SeanFarr

Awesome i got it working, ive made a cut through it by putting it in the sketch, thanks mate umm one more question, just need to know how to use the hole command to punch a hole through the cylinder.

Thanks

IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2; Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS MB Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM
ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
Message 4 of 4
SeanFarr
in reply to: dalech

Once you click the Hole command, you can use linear placement and select edges of you part to position the hole, but I find most times there isn't references available, so I typically create a new sketch (for each different size of hole) place points on the sketch where I want the holes to be, finish sketch, then once you press the hole command, it will see your new sketch and use those points as reference for the holes.

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report