Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing assembly files without using vault?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mucip
873 Views, 6 Replies

Sharing assembly files without using vault?

Hi,

We do not use VAULT. We're using newtwork shared folder with 3 machine.

In some cases three users opening same assembly and sub assemblies. In theis case Inventor showing us an error like "You can not save file. Use save-as" But in this case it's impossible to work share files.

We're openning/using same project file (ipj).  I remember that older versions of Inventor give us to chance that not save some subassemblies of main assembly. In this case you may save newer version of assembly files..

How can I share network folder to share my assemly files with the other colleques?

Using Inventor 2013 and not Vault. Because we're using Linux file server and very happy with it...

Regards,

Mucip:)

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: mucip

hello,

see attached picture for what may help you decide which way to go.

(note the picture is from inv 2012 in case you notice a slight difference)

if that makes sense, then you can read up on each option in the inventor help / supporting documentation.

but do some testing before you commit to either option. ensure you are aware of how to take ownership if one of your users is not in the office and has left something checked out, and so on. (ie do you need to know his / her logon to manage the situation, steal checkout... and so on).

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 7
mucip
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

Hi,

Perfect... Thanks...

I will check all options and choose the best on which is fitting to our condition...

Regards,

Message 4 of 7
mucip

Hi,

I tested "Share mode"... Yes, it's very difficult to work with it unfortunatelly!

We tested one day and opern files by 3 users. And now we have big trouble! Diffirent files has been checked out by different users!... How can I cancel all "check out" signs from all files?...

I changed the project mode "Single" but there is still apperaring "check out by xxx user".

How can I delete all check out signs from all files and sub-assemblies?... We have lots of sub files.

Regards,

Message 5 of 7
japike

First, NEVER test anything in Inventor on live data!!!!

You checked files out but now need to check them back in. You should be able set your project up as shared again and check the files in.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 6 of 7
mucip

Hi,

Yes, you're right... 🙂

I'm following your way already incase of check in every file which cehecked ot before...

By the way any information about semi-isolated mod?...

Regards,

Message 7 of 7
japike

It's been many years since I did anything with shared or semi-isolated projects. We did not adopt either because they cause us more trouble than they were worth. We also don't use vault. We've looked at it several times but feel the same about vault as shared mode - it would get in the way more than help. Our projects, with the exception of shared libraries, are quite custom and independant of each other. When we assign multiple designers to a project, one designer acts as the lead and is responsible for making sure designers don't step on each other while using Inventor. It also helps  that all of our designers are in close proximity to each other and can talk about what they are working on in inventor.

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report