Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shank Hook w/ Nose

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
D_Beezhold
614 Views, 8 Replies

Shank Hook w/ Nose

Happy Friday all,

First off I'm working in Inventor Pro 2012 SP2

I'm attempting to model a shank hook with a "nose" for a spring latch. So far I've been able to model the hook itself minus said nose by following a previous post by JDMather. Since then I've had a hard time coming up with the correct geometry for the spring latch mounting nose. I've tried a couple of methods using an extrusion for the "spine", but it doesn't play nice with the lofted face of the hook and just looks bad. Not sure if another loft is the answer or maybe something with delete face/thicken/sculpt that I"m not thinking of?

I've attached both my .ipt & spec sheet I've been working off. Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

-Derrick

Tags (2)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rdyson
in reply to: D_Beezhold

I would extrude cut the material at f3 at the 12° angle, then add back the material at g1. You'll need to adjust f3 a bit if you want it exact.

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 9
D_Beezhold
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks for the response,

I hope I understood your post correctly, so I posted my part to see if I'm on the right path. (I also found a error in sketch1 in my original .ipt) I'm still having issues adding the matterial back in. being a straight extrusion it won't follow the contour of the lofted face... If you meant for me to use a different cut extrusion profile could you clarify for me? Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,

Derrick

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

Your Extrusion3 should only cut one side (half) with a 12° draft according to the drawing.  (or nto even half, but from the face of the eyelet)

Mirror to other side or repeat for other side.

You will need to experiment with Face Fillets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
D_Beezhold
in reply to: JDMather

Ok, I believe I have the 12deg extrude cut in. Having trouble filling in the rest of the profile before mirroring though. Any suggestions?

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

attach your file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 7 of 9
D_Beezhold
in reply to: JDMather

Bah, forgot to attach. Apologies.

Message 8 of 9
rdyson

Don't know how exact you need it, but this might help.

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 9
D_Beezhold
in reply to: rdyson

My final result, ended up using a rib instead of another extrusion but with similiar results. Doubtful my radii are all accurate but it will work for my purposes. Couldn't get a parting line face draft to work on the outer rib face for the 1:20 taper so was reduced to using 2 chamfers...Thank you rdyson & JD for your input, you guys pointed me in the right direction.

Regards,

Derrick

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report