Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shafts and Assemblies

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
KevinMacDonald
697 Views, 2 Replies

Shafts and Assemblies

Inventor 2013 newbie here. I would like to create a shaft using the thoughtfully provided "Shaft" feature, and place it in an assembly with a few other parts. This seems to be.... arcane. I learned the trick of selecting a few components and hitting TAB to put them into an assembly together, but this is not working.

I think I am missing some very basic metaphors regarding Parts, Components, Assemblies, and iAssemblies. Perhaps someone can point out my misconceptions or direct me to a good overview of these concepts. Meanwhile, I google and read, google and read....

Inventor 2013
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: KevinMacDonald

hi kevin,

there are some helpful resources for specific topics (i have attached some snapshots of them below for examples).

also, just to try to explain a little bit to help you get your head around it, these 'design accelerator' type tools are good to get access to design specifications and standard kit, especially of you are in the design phase.

for things like this and other inbuilt "power" tools like frame generator, routing and pipework etc inventor will have to manage its data in a way that is different to when you draw parts yourself.

eg- as far as being able to demote and manage into sub assemblies etc. using the good old commands that you referred to. eg component demote (or Tab key as you say). But you will still be able to access  specific "Demote" tools for the topic. in a slightly different place, see snapshot below. i hope i have made some sense. there are as with anything different ways to manage these things. this is just one method that works for me.

the snapshots may make more sense. just practice in a sandpit and see what works for you. i am sure many people have there own way that works for them.

i have 2 more snapshots to add to these first three. please stand by.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 3 of 3
Mark_Wigan
in reply to: Mark_Wigan

the last two quick snapshots are attached here.

please let me know if this makes any sense or if there is something we can demostrate for you.

the wiki help and training will likely just explain the actual tool but not the concept of managing your assemblies so much. that is why i have tried to explainsome slightly related information about the experience i could share in words and pictures.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums