Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaft Coupler-use design accelerator to produce splines

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
SeanFarr
4150 Views, 8 Replies

Shaft Coupler-use design accelerator to produce splines

Hi, is it possible to produce something like in the attached image using the design accelerator? Instead of making a cylinder and sketching the spline patterns and extruding? To me there must be a way besides sketching and use the library's of standard splines patterns and sizes.

I am looking for examples or links to videos of anyone has one.

Thanks!!
Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rdyson
in reply to: SeanFarr

Pack and go your assembly and post it here, if you get stuck.

Image1.png

PDSU 2016
Message 3 of 9
SeanFarr
in reply to: rdyson

I finally managed to come up with the workflow that Inventor requires for an user to create splines interior and exterior.

As rdyson pointed out in the image attached the spline tool is located inside the Assembly template->in the Design tab.

This is where I was getting stuck. I wanted to simply model the coupler I attached in my first post. Which I did successfully below.

Capture.PNG

So the tool is in the assembly template because in order to create these splines you need to______???

BINGO!!!     HAVE AN ASSEMBLY.

To create the inner splines you need to create a shaft so that the coupler will become the "Hub" when adding the splines. Then when creating the Outer splines, you need to have a hub part. This image might help; the red parts are just dummy parts to obtain the splines I needed for my coupler, hope this helps someone who is having troubles as I did. I found that even though I had to create 2 dummy files, it was still much faster to create these splines for the coupler than actually creating a sketch, and then extruding/revolving a cut.

Capture2.PNG

Thanks!

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 4 of 9
waclaw.neumann
in reply to: SeanFarr

Guys i need help so bad!

I'm F360 user and i need to model a 5/8 inch diameter 9 teeth (5/8-9T) involute spline and 5/8-19T spline. Basically i need 2D drawing only. The reason for that is i'm doing a vehicle for my son and need to connect power shaft (which is 5/8-9T splined) with another shaft (5/8-19T splined). I can't fint proper coupling and also i do not have means to make one but got idea to use needles fron needle bearing and drill holes circular pattern in stock bar, the bore out to 5/8. The plan is to connect splined shaft with coupler by means of needles.

Please would you generate simple model in Inventor for me to get the right shape?

Message 5 of 9
rdyson
in reply to: waclaw.neumann

Attached is a step file. The splines are both 45°, yours maybe 37.5°.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 9
waclaw.neumann

Thank you so much RDYSON for help! now i have a problem though: i have a shaft in my hand but i do not know pressure angle of the spline teeth:/ I think 37.5 deg are more common. Would you make a 37.5 deg version? This is for Hydro Gear hydrostatic pumps. Maybe ya know what PA they use?

Message 7 of 9

I've printed 2D view of your model and now i know mine spline is different. The tooth profile is more pointed. See attached photo of the actual spline. Are you able to recognize PA by looking at the photo? 

Thank you

Message 8 of 9
rdyson
in reply to: waclaw.neumann

Step files for 30 and 37.5 Deg.

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 9
waclaw.neumann

Thank you. I'll try make make sth with it. Wtill confused as they looks different to the one i have. Maybe the reason is the shaft O.D. is 5/8 in but the splined groove in the sleeve have higher teeth? Maybe splines library in Inventor only generate the exact spline outline without additional height needed for manofacture process?

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report