Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting a default Level of Detail

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
2355 Views, 11 Replies

Setting a default Level of Detail

I know there's the setting in the Tools/Application Options/File dialogue that allows you to set a system wide setting of which LOD that opens each time you activate an assembly.

But what about a file specific setting where you are able to set a specific LOD that always opens for that specific assembly file? Or will that conflict with the system wide settings?

Granted, I know Inventor will open the last saved LOD (based on that system wide setting), but my client has users that, for a lack of better terms, are not paying attention or being aware of what LOD they are opening and thus editing the wrong LOD, etc. So now they want me to figure out a way of solving this.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Set it to always open master and give them proper training on how to friggin pay attention. You can't fix the stupid. Smiley Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 12
swordmaster

It is possible to set the level of detail by running a ilogic rule. This has been touched upon several times in the customization forum. Searching there might give you the answer you need

good luck

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

LOL.....I hear you there.

We have three standard LODs and have users "trained" to save the file into Vault as the lowest LOD due to the size of these files. In other words, you really never want to open the Master LOD on any of the upper level assemblies.

Yes, though, it seems like they are asking me to set the files up to where we're holding their hands.

But that's the way they prefer to have things set here and it's been that way long before I got here.

Message 5 of 12
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

We have three standard LODs and have users "trained" to save the file into Vault as the lowest LOD due to the size of these files.

Then set it to "Last Active" and it will open on the one that they checked it into Vault with..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Mcgyvr,

Believe it or not, but that is the way we have it set.

The issue comes up where one dept. opens the file in one LOD and makes their edits/additions, then another group opens the assembly at the "last active" LOD and start making their edits/additions when they are actually suppose to do their work in a different LOD. That's the problem.

The more I think about it, setting a default really doesn't solve anythinf if they are suppose to select the proper LOD in the first place. It's nothing more than a matter of paying attention to what you are suppose to do.

I just have to file this issue under the heading of the user being "click happy" and just blindly clicking "OK".

Maybe if they get bit hard enough, habits will change.

Message 7 of 12
colinmckinstry

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or its a bug in my software but for some reason my assembly files Level of detail fails to default to the last activated LOD even though that is how its set in application options.

Sometimes it defaults to Master and sometimes to last saved and other times to the same random LOD, this tends to be consistent in my assembly files. What I mean is if the assembly file defaults to a given LOD it defaults there without fail regardless on how many time I save to another activated LOD. 

Is this an known issue with 2016 or am I doing something wrong?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: colinmckinstry

I am having a similar issue. I want my assemblies to open with the Lasted Used LoD... but they always open in Master LoD. Does anyone know of a solution?

Message 9 of 12
L.Greft

I'm also having this issue with the level of detail. In the application options "File Open..."  is set to "Last Active" but it always open in the Master. 

Check out my ideas: https://autode.sk/2TKe6LH
Message 10 of 12
johnsonshiue
in reply to: L.Greft

Hi! Was the assembly referenced by a drawing and the drawing was opened first? Please share the example files here. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12
L.Greft
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello @johnsonshiue, the assembly is not referenced by a drawing. Unfortunately I can't share the assemblies that have the problem, due to company policy. I've tried to make an example that shows the problem, but that one doesn't seem to have the problem. I followed the same steps for both assemblies, so it doesn't make sense for me why one assembly does set the LOD to "iLogic" and the other one sets it to "Master". 

Below are the settings I use for the Level of Detail. I'm using Inventor 2021.3.1

Level of Detail setting.JPG

For now I've used an iLogic rule (see below) to set the LOD to my custom LOD "iLogic". Will this rule still work in Inventor 2022 (because of the model states)?

ThisServer.ActiveDocument.ComponentDefinition.RepresentationsManager.LevelofDetailRepresentations("iLogic").Activate

InventorVb.DocumentUpdate()

Check out my ideas: https://autode.sk/2TKe6LH
Message 12 of 12
MjDeck
in reply to: L.Greft

@L.Greft , your code will work on Inventor 2022. The Levels of Detail become Model States.

However, in Inventor 2022 you no longer need a separate LOD (or model state) to suppress components. You can do that in the Master model state. In 2022, if possible it's generally best to delete the iLogic model state and have your rules run in the Master model state instead.

One minor point: it's better to use ThisApplication instead of ThisServer in your code. The ActiveDocument property is not available on the InventorServer object. So ThisServer.ActiveDocument works in Inventor, but it would fail on Forge.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report