Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set all-member adaptive harness subassy in iAssembly (odd Adative Status column)

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Maxim-CADman77
959 Views, 10 Replies

Set all-member adaptive harness subassy in iAssembly (odd Adative Status column)

AFAIK user need to use new column to iAssembly (iPart) configuration table only if it is about something that differs in some mebers, right.

But this rule seems not work for Harness Sub-Aassemblies (HSA).

To have HSA adaptive the column Adative Status should be present in table even if HSA is supposed to be adative in all members.

Steps to reproduce:

Open "Personal Computer.iam" (one of standard Inventor Samples project).

1. Make "Alias Conceptual PC Case"member active

2. Whitness all six HSA placed in th bottom of model tree in browser are NOT adaptive.

3. Make "Inventor PC Case" member active.

4. Whitness all six HSA placed in th bottom of model tree in browser are adaptive.

5. Use Edit Table command and remove all odd columns:

5.1. All columns with only one value (Grounded Status)

5.2. All Adative Status columns.

In resulting table only 6 columns should remain.

6. Finish table editing.

The expected result is to have all six HSA adative for both members.

Real result - all six HSA are not adaptive.

Making Any HSA adative will add column to the table.

Thus there is no option to have HSA adative for all iAssy members without having odd Adaptive column which extends table. Seems not the best solution from the point of further table maintenance.

Autodesk, please comment.

Software used Inventor 2014 SP1 Update 3

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mcgyvr
in reply to: Maxim-CADman77

Harnesses should only be adaptive to one assembly (or 1 member in an iassembly) not all. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 11

Why?

Is it officially declared in help or elsewhere?

BTW, I can confirm that if try to get HSA adaptive in more than one
member using "Edit Table" or "Edit via Spreadsheet" command, user will
get message "Detected potentially damaging errors in the table. Only one
member may set the component instance Adaptive. Do you wish to
continue?".

On the other hand using command together with activating
different member give user ability to make HSA adaptive in all members
without any warnings.

Moreover Design Doctor marks HSA routes as problems to be solved if
their adaptivity is disabled.

Quite a mess of limitations and requirements , isn't it?

Message 4 of 11
mcgyvr

http://docs.autodesk.com/INVPRO/2010/ENU/Autodesk%20Inventor%202010%20Help/index.html?url=WS1a919382...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 5 of 11
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

The same goes for Tube & Pipe as well. The can only be Adaptive within the IAM they are created in. For that matter, the same really follows suit for IPT's created within an IAM. They are adaptive within the IAM they are created in with respect to any geometry projected or referenced. If the IPT is placed within another IAM, it comes in without any Adaptivity.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 11
Maxim-CADman77
in reply to: blair

Thank you for the url.

(BTW, the url for used Inv2014 is -
http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-9F2FF44E-CBB3-
412C-8106-AB85ABE2D2D8 *).

Now I see that current realization of "Make adaptive" command DOES NOT
comply with help "Keep in mind that a harness assembly can be reused in
any number of configurations, but will only be adaptive and respond to
changes for a single configuration."

The expected behavior - making adaptive HAS in active configuration
SHOULD make it "non-adaptive" in all rest configuration ... but alas -
it doesn't.

* To my mind there are some point to be clarified in it:

"These harness assemblies remain adaptive to the first configuration." I
guess should be

"These harness assemblies remain adaptive to the ACTIVE configuration."
Message 7 of 11
mcgyvr

A harness should remain adaptive to the assembly or member in which it was created..

IF you want it to be adaptive to another you use the make adaptive command. 

Thats just how it works.. If you don't like that you are more than welcome to submit a "product enhancement" request or whatever.. BUT don't hold your breath.. Its not going to change. Its not high on their priority list at all.. Many people are 100% happy with how it works. (I don't like how C&H works either but I live with it)

Message 8 of 11
Maxim-CADman77

Now I think I have more undrstanding of the process.
Have found interesting video regarding Interchange set - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_d8Hl6z-j0
At 1:15 speaker says something like "... don't touch adaptivity in the table - we will change this in interface...."
To my mind it shouldn't bother user if Inventor creates a copy for the routed subsystem or not.
What mainly important to user that his routed design is adative to all configuration members.
Yet I still don't understand why making routed subsystem adaptive to all conf- members it is not a default behavior.
Message 9 of 11
blair

The adaptivity comes from the end work points referencing geometry outside of the T & P assembly. Should a valve move in the main IAM, then the T & G will "adapt" to adjust to the move. This is why it can only be adaptive within the Parent assembly it was created in.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11
mcgyvr

@Maxim-CADman77 wrote:

Yet I still don't understand why making routed subsystem adaptive to all conf- members it is not a default behavior.

It should be done better in my opinion also. But its not.. There just aren't enough users complaining about this kind of stuff for Autodesk to justify spending money on reprogramming/fixing it.

I'm not an Autodesk programmer... but I've never understood why the "routing" information is not "stored" in the assembly or iassembly member but instead in the actual harness.iam file.

My biggest complaint is that I can't create a harness in its own iam file. set the max length of each wire and then be able to place that exact same harness.iam into multiple assemblies, constrain the end connectors/terminals and the specific routing of that instance of the harness would then be stored in the main assembly or iassembly member. The "max" length property of the harness.iam file would then allow Inventor to easily alert the user when the specific routing of that specific harness has exceeded the "max" length property and notify you to modify the routing or create a new "longer" harness. Having to create multiple "identical" harness files just because one of the end connectors or whatever is in a different place is just stupid.. 

Message 11 of 11
Maxim-CADman77

I've forget to illustrate what I've referenced before.

If HSA is not adaptive in active Configuration then Design Doctor consider Sweep elemet of its Route as Issue:

DesDoctConsiderNonAssocC&HroutesAsIssues.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report