Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Intersecting Surfaces Helix Profile Sweep

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
hardguns
2670 Views, 11 Replies

Self Intersecting Surfaces Helix Profile Sweep

Hi,

I am working on Sweeping three helix profiles around a cylinder to create a screw thread.

When I sweep the profile, Inventor gives me the error messages:

"The attempted operation would create a self-intersecting surfaces. Try with different inputs".

or

"The attempted operation did not produce meaningful intersection edges from the face-face intersection. Try with different inputs".

However, this is exactly what I need to create the helix profile I require and eventually increase the size of the Extrusion Sweep profile to 80mm.

When I increase the sweep profile to 80mm I get the same error message about the self intersecting surfaces.

I am working with Autodesk Inventor Professional 2011, 64bit, 8gb RAM, Windows 7, Intel Core i7-2860QM.

Can someone please help me with this problem urgently??

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: hardguns

@hardguns wrote:

Can someone please help me with this problem urgently??

The help will be faster if you attach an ipt rather than image files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
hardguns

Hi Thanks for your response,

I have tried to attach the file but cannot compress it down enough to add to the thread. 😞

Message 4 of 12
hardguns

Here is a single part file.

This is the middle Helix for my profile.

I cannot increase the diameter of the Sweep profile up to the required 83mm as the surfaces self intersect.

However I need these surfaces to intersect so that I can withdraw that profile from the centre cylinder.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Message 5 of 12
JDMather

Is this what your really want?

I would do the part completely different (no 3D sketches).

Helix.PNG

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
WHolzwarth

Jeffrey, I think, a 3D spline is needed, because of the variable pitch of the helix. I didn't realize the distortions, because I regarded the 3D sketch as basic input. But after finishing my part, I added Extrusionsurface1 and 3D Sketch8. 3DSketch8 would give a better start.

But this part is a challenge, I spent some time with it. And I've asked myself for the reasion of the bad edge contour between the red and yellow face.

Smiley Happy Now I hope to know: It's probably caused by the distortions of the basic 3D sketch.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: WHolzwarth

I didn't realize that it was a variable pitch on my quick inspection.

I would try some sort of wrap to cylinder to get the curve or the new Forumula driven curve generation in 2013.

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
hardguns
in reply to: JDMather

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

JD, yes those parts you have circled in red are part of the helix profile i need to sweep.

How would you suggest I do it without 3d sketches?

I had imported my points in from an excel file using the 3d sketcher.

Is there a patch I can download to use the new formula generation in my 2011 version??

WH i cannot open your ipt file.

Thanks again..

Message 9 of 12
JDMather

@hardguns wrote:

JD, yes those parts you have circled in red are part of the helix profile i need to sweep.

The point is that is not a helical curve that I would expect.  I would expect it to be a circle in that view.

Is it correct or not?  Is that really really really what you want?

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
hardguns
in reply to: JDMather

Ive attached the excel file i have used to create the 3d sketch.

however when i add this into Inventor it gives me strange ends on the spline (that i had trimmed in the original ipt file). 

how could i constrain this to become more cylindrical without whose parts you had circled in your image?

Message 11 of 12
WHolzwarth

Ouch. While playing with this file, I switched to 2013. No help for a 2011 user.

Here's a Parasolid (minimal filesize). If you need more, send me a mail at wh@holzwarth-cad.de

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
WHolzwarth
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Here's a cleaned-up version in 2011, with better shape of 3DSpline of the helix, and modeling improvements.

And now, the edge between red and yellow face is looking much better

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report