Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selectively shrinkwrap sub-assemblies

0 REPLIES 0
Message 1 of 1
mrlucmorin
293 Views, 0 Replies

Selectively shrinkwrap sub-assemblies

Hi all,

I would like to simplify only parts of a top level assembly, so I thought I could suppress some sub-assemblies/parts, and from this LOD generate a shrinkwrap.

I can do this, but then there's no way to either place new components (Place button is greyed out), and also I have no idea how to unsuppress the previously suppressed components.

The general idea of what I'm trying to achieve is to selectively shrinkwrap sub-components. For example, if I have 30 sub-assemblies/parts, I'd like to be able to select let's say 10 of them and shrinkwrap them into one. Then select the next 10 and again shrinkwrap those and so on. In the end, I'd be left with only 3 first-level components.

The reason for this is that I'm then exporting the assembly to STEP for use in an Electrical CAD software, and if I don't simply the assembly, the ECAD creates too many components and they are difficult to group in there. It's easier to do in Inventor.

Is what I'm trying to do possible to do "in-place", or do I have to save the shrinkwrapped assemblies and create a new top level one ? So far I'm doing this, ie saving my shrinkwrapped assemblies and creating a new top level assembly and it works, but I'd like to know if there's another workflow.

Thank you.

Luc Morin, T.P.
http://www.stlm.ca
Tags (1)
0 REPLIES 0

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report