Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select faces by window

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
CAD-One
3026 Views, 22 Replies

Select faces by window

I have seen selection filter and apply selction of faces and edges.

I want to leverage this further. In a part, is it possible to simply drag a window and have inventor select all faces?

C1
Inventor Professional 2020
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: CAD-One

For some stupid reason....in a part NO. in an assembly YES

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 23
CAD-One

That's stupid enough. I was working on a complex part lately and had to select around ~50 faces. It was painful.
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 4 of 23
SteveMDennis

Just to be clear, you want the ability to select faces/edges/etc. when no command is running via a window drag?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 23
CAD-One

Say I want to use delete face command and choose several faces by dragging a window around em.
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 6 of 23
SteveMDennis

OK, unfortunately each command has it's own selection settings. Can you supply a list of the top 5 commands that you would like to see this capabilty added for?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 7 of 23
CAD-One

1. Delete face
2. Move face
3. Offset surface
4. Stitch
This is just me . I would encourage others to add.
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous

How about not limiting it to a top 5?  Just make it work everywhere.

Message 9 of 23
CAD-One

I would love any little enhancement. See how this thread is transforming into a wish list 🙂
C1
Vault Professional 2020
AutoCAD 2020
Message 10 of 23
SteveMDennis
in reply to: Anonymous

Making it work everywhere believe it or not is a large endeavor owing to the history of Inventor's evolution.

A stopgap measure is for us to quickly add it to the most used commands that give the highest return to you guys in productivity and efficiency while we look into addressing it writ large for all selections everywhere.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 23
SBix26
in reply to: SteveMDennis

I would be happy with the four proposed by CAD-One.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous

How about a move body option, say in the flat pattern tab...instead of just the move face....and or have the option of more than one flat pattern per part file....

Message 13 of 23
rajeshindi

OFFSET FACE AND STITCH ARE TWO MAIN ONES FOR ME

Message 14 of 23
nstalker
in reply to: rajeshindi

I'd just like to be able to window-select using any of the selection buttons.  Right now as I see it you can only use window-select with annotation features.

Message 15 of 23
CCarreiras
in reply to: nstalker

Delete faces: selecting by drag window is awsome... imagine cleaning a plastic part with thousands of fillets.

BUT THERE'S ANOTHER IMPORTANT ISSUE...

When we select faces by dragging a window, the "front faces" become selected, very nice!!! BUT also the "back faces" become selected... and this is very bad... Others softwares manage this very simple... i miss a lot this capabilities in enventor.

e.g... imagine i want to offset (or delete, etc) the top faces from a plastic part, i start to position the part "look at me"... now i drag a select window to select the top faces... but... the back faces are also selected... dammm!!!

It is a good idea if the "selected drag window" only select the "VIEW FACES"!!! and not select the hidden faces in the back of the part... we simply don't need them for the operation... 90% of times we need this kind of "face selection".

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 16 of 23
SteveMDennis
in reply to: CCarreiras

Window select is simply many, many regular pick selections done in a grid fashion. With single selection we utilize select other to deal with the "back" objects. With window selection we don't use select other, it gets ALL objects.

And I imagine sometimes that IS what you want/expect. (i.e. I want to window select all faces except these 3 and delete them)

But I also see your point.

Maybe we need an optional button (i.e. shift window select gets all, default only gets "visible" objects)

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 23
nstalker

Having the option to do either would be optimal.  I was hoping to do at least what I could do in ACAD which would be to orbit so there is nothing behind it and window select multiple and delete.  Also in ACAD I could use layers in conjunction with window selection.

Message 18 of 23
CCarreiras

Hi Steven... i think you are seeing things only for one side...

ok, if i need to select all surfaces minus one or two(When this happend???!!, ok , ahead).... i turn the part in one side... drag a window, and next i turn the part to the opposite side and drag another  window... and thats it!!!

To do the opposite i don't have any option!!! ...unless... select one by one... imagine 100 faces! and if you have a error message because one of them... guess what... select all again, one by one!!! Its common in plastic parts, i have to spend half an hour t select faces, in others SWares... 2 seconds, drag a window in visible surfaces!!!

I like a lot inventor, but excuse me, the select system is wrong... I don't understand why inventor has tool for plastic parts, module for tooling... and when we need to work and change these parts, we have to pick one face at the time... sorry, but this is insane and stupid... Again, i like a lot inventor, the good thing, i dont work a lot with these kind of parts. If i have to work with these kind of parts, i will never use inventor. Trim surface: one at the time, delete surface: one at the time, select surface:one at the time, inspect gaps when stitching: need copy to construction (duplicate surfaces!!!??? Two enviroments to work with surfaces??!!), sorry but the system is wrong. Stop spend time with some things that nobody uses and improve these simple things.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 19 of 23
Ktelang

How about window select workpoints in a part file

that will be a great help!!

Thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Config :: Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU E31245 @ 3.30 GHz, 16.0 GB, 64bit win7
Inventor 2013 and Vault Basic 2013
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 20 of 23
DRoam

@SteveMDennis wrote:

Just to be clear, you want the ability to select faces/edges/etc. when no command is running via a window drag?

[...]

OK, unfortunately each command has it's own selection settings. Can you supply a list of the top 5 commands that you would like to see this capabilty added for?

[...]

Making it work everywhere believe it or not is a large endeavor owing to the history of Inventor's evolution.

Wouldn't the best option in the meantime be to enable selecting faces/edges/bodies/etc. when no command is running? Because then couldn't we use window-select for ANY command by using noun/verb selection?

But then, in regards to tackling the verb/noun selection for all commands..... @SteveMDennis, as you know, we want consistency Smiley Wink Wait until it's realistic to prioritize this issue and address it as a whole. Then make a list of every Part-environment command that allows multiple non-contiguous selections, and knock them all out. And then that can actually be a headline for that release: "Window selection enabled for all Part commands!" (rather than trickling it out bit by bit and just making people mad that it works in some places and not in others).

And I wonder if while you're at it, you could modify the selection "architecture" for Part commands such that, in the future, it's easier make blanket changes to all commands like this when good ideas come along? Basically, clean up all that nasty, bloated, dysfunctional "history of Inventor's evolution" that forces you to change every.... command... one.... by one.... and do it right, unlike those before you Smiley Happy  Is that realistic? Or no?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report