Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Section view as the master view

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Karol-Or
2054 Views, 7 Replies

Section view as the master view

I place the first view in a drawing and want to be sectioned.

Is there a way to do that, since when i mark the section line, another view is created.

Or should i put the main view outside of the paper boundaries?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
cbenner
in reply to: Karol-Or

That is how I generally do it, if I want a section view to be my main drawing view.  As of right now there has to be a view that a section was created from, so I place that outside of the border, and drag the section view inside.  A section view can also be moved to a different sheet if need be.  Do that by creating the section view, then find it in the drawing model tree, and simply drag and drop (from the model tree) to the sheet you want it on.  Once it's there you can move, resize, rotate etc... to get what you need.

Message 3 of 8
Cadmanto
in reply to: Karol-Or

Karol,

You are better off sticking the parent view off of the page.  You can't delete the parent view without the program removing the dependant views.

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 8

Hi Karol-Or,

In addition to the other suggestions, you can select the base view and right-click and choose Suppress, this will leave just the section view. I have always had the impression that this will speed up the drawing upon opening or regenerating, but to be honest I've never actually tested that theory.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 8

I just tested a few performance factors.  When opening a drawing (drawing and assembly were both updated completely before last save), there did appear to be a performance increase when suppressing the base view, but the increase was slight (about 1 sec in my tests).

However, the biggest difference I found was when drawing views are updated after a change in the model.  Suppressed views don't calculate, so the drawing finishes updating all views sooner that it would with the base view unsuppressed.  In the case that I tested, it was a 20 sec difference (and this was with only one view suppressed).

So, any views off-sheet should be suppressed if you want to benefit from this increase in performance.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 6 of 8
SteveMDennis
in reply to: cwhetten

Yes there should be a performance increase because we don't do the hidden line calculations.  We simply take the bodies from that suppressed view and cut them for the child section view (which has to be done no matter what)

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 8
kwilson_design
in reply to: cbenner

Another approach that doesn't force you to have views outside of the paper space is to use Break Out tool. Workflow below:

Steps 1 & 2... 

1.jpg

Draw a rectangle around your entire view if you want to section the entire model. If you only want to section a small detail area then only draw the geometry you want in that area to act as the "cutting tool". Whatever the geometry is, it has to be a closed loop profile in order to work! Once done Return from Sketch.

2.jpg

Click the Break Out tool in the Modify panel. You will see a Break Out selection icon as your cursor. Select your view with the sketch.

3.jpg

Select the edge, point, distance, etc you want to cut your section view to...

4.jpg

Done. Also since the sketch it tied to the View it will move with it.

5.jpg

You can create section views from your base section view, all without having to have these extra clutter views around the paper space...

6.jpg

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report