Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seam in a cylinder

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
kortekaasmark
1264 Views, 6 Replies

Seam in a cylinder

I have made a sheet metal cylinder with a rip. I am trying to create a seam on this rip as is done in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gazPCkD8jrQ about half way through.

I have tried to go through the same steps, but I can not select the inside of the rip to built hems and flanges on.  I also tried to make the cylinder by sketching 350 degrees of the cylinder instead of creating a rip, This had the same problem.

Does anybody know why I can't select these edges or how I can work around it?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: kortekaasmark

Maybe something like this is what you are after.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
kortekaasmark
in reply to: JDMather

It's not exactly what I was looking for but i can definately work with that.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 7
cvbt-thailand
in reply to: JDMather

JD, I know this is an old thread but it is the same problem I have.  When I try to open your ipt example I get: "Error in reading RSe stream."  I'm using IV2011.  Could you repost an example please? 

Geoffrey Wheeler
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 SP2, IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2, stand alone, Design Review 2018, DWG True View 2018, Inventor View // Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS P8H61-M LE, Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM // ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
Message 5 of 7

Hi Geoffrey,

The example JD provided was saved on Inventor 2012. You are on 2011, which is a very old release and it cannot open files saved in newer version.

What JD did was very straight forward. He used an arc and a few rounds in a sketch. Then use Contour Flange command to extrude the profile. There are actually more workflows available to create the geometry like using Rip to tear up a cylinder or Lofted Flange, which are not available on 2011. Sheet metal multi-body and multi-thickness workflows are enabled in later releases. I suggest you upgrade to newer Inventor releases to take advantage of them.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7

Thank you Johnson.  I got it to work.  Could you comment on my results, work flow and screen shot please:

Grooved_Seam_Joint_IV.jpg

Work flow for Sheet Metal Grooved Seam Joints IV2011
Reference Figure 2.57  http://www.tpub.com/steelworker2/22.htm

1.  Use the CadGodinTraining's Flange Tool method
Reference: https://youtu.be/gazPCkD8jrQ?t=733
This doesn't work with a cylindrical tube.  I'd like it to. If someone knows how to make it work, please let me know.

2.  Use JDMather's lap joint method as explained by Johnson Shiue

Sheet Metal .5 mm
Cylinder created by extruding a profile sketch of 2 circles.  The dimension between the circles = "Thickness" (If typing, use capital "T" or else just select from "parameters" drop down menu) sheet metal parameter.
Create work point on end of cylinder
  Point > intersection of XZ plane and circumference of tube end.
Rip gap: 6
(at this point it would be nice to use the Flange command but it won't work; possibly because the adjoining edge, the end of the tube, is curved)
Make the small profile first
Sketch on end of cylinder
Project outer circle and rip end.
Increase rip to 3xThickness + .03 mm (had to readjust later.
Use "Thickness" parameter in dimensions.
Do one flange profile per sketch.  Sketches must be fully constrained.
(I had to keep playing with the bend radius - .381 mm by rule but I ended up with .025 mm).  I had to keep playing with the fully constrained profile geometry.  The error messages were helpful.

This is a lot of work.  I have to do the same joint on other cylinders.  I'll try to copy or reinsert the part and modify it.

Geoffrey Wheeler
AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 SP2, IV Pro 2011 64bit SP2, stand alone, Design Review 2018, DWG True View 2018, Inventor View // Win7 Ultimate SP1
ASUS P8H61-M LE, Intel i5-3450 @ 3.10 GHz, 8GB RAM // ATI AMD Radeon HD 6600 Series, 1GB RAM
Message 7 of 7

Hi Geoffrey,

That is exactly what I would do. Like I said before, Inventor 2011 is very old. If I were you, I would upgrade to newer versions like 2017 or 2018.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report