Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sculpt Part composed of multiple Solids

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
j_berry
688 Views, 4 Replies

Sculpt Part composed of multiple Solids

Googled and searched the forums, didn't find what I'm looking for.

Is there a way to sculpt a part composed of multiple solid bodies without having to perform the sculpt command for each solid body? I want to use the same work plane to remove material from a part but the sculpt command only allows me to select one body at a time. This means after the first sculpt of one solid, I need to turn on the visibility of the consumed work plane and perform a sculpt on each of the remaining solids.

Not a huge issue, but in the future I may need to do a large number of these tasks.

I attached a sample file. I threw it together in 30 seconds so it's not the prettiest looking thing. I threw in a few sculpt commands to give you an idea of where I'm going with this.

AutoCAD Electrical 2013 SP2
Windows 7 Pro SP1
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: j_berry

Would extrude do the job for you?  In your example it would, but I don't know how representative that is of your actual part.  I don't know of any way to make Sculpt or Split include more than one solid at a time, but Extrude can include as many as you want.

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 3 of 5
j_berry
in reply to: SBix26

I considered an extruded cut after I posted. Just tried it and it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm making parts relative to each other in an assembly. If the end of part A extends past the face of part B, I sculpt off the end of A to be flush with the face of B.

I projected an edge onto a work plane and created a sketch to extrude a cut, but the extrude command is not allowing me to select the sketch. This is the first time I've encountered this problem. Usually if the extrude commmand doesn't work it's because I forgot to close a loop or the sketch isn't visible, but in my attached part I have no idea why I can't select it.

I even made another sketch plane and projected some points from sketch2 to sketch3, thinking it had something to do with adaptivity, but it still will not select to exrude. I attached the IPT in question, pretty vanilla looking, nothing really proprietary.

Windows 7 Pro SP1
Message 4 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: j_berry

@j_berry wrote:

....but the extrude command is not allowing me to select the sketch. 

Works fine for me with your sketch.

Have you rebooted the computer?

Of course because you have multiple solid bodies you have to select one of the solids - so this doesn't solve your main problem.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 5
j_berry
in reply to: JDMather

I noticed the sketch lit up blue when I started the extrude command but I didn't think it was working because the OK button was greyed out.

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course because you have multiple solid bodies you have to select one of the solids - so this doesn't solve your main problem.

I can select the solids in one extrusion command and everything works out. Finished IPT attached for future reference. Thank you all for the replies.

Windows 7 Pro SP1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report