Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scribble in 3D

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
vinzs78
689 Views, 6 Replies

Scribble in 3D

I need for a art piece to create a scribble to be 3d printed. I am trying to make 1 irregular line with a perfect tube of 1mm constain diameter.

I tried to loft or sweep with two circle on each end of the "scribble" but no success...

Anyone have an idea how i could give a colume to a 3d spline?

I have attched the itp to give a better idea what i am after.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
coreyparks
in reply to: vinzs78

I can't open the file you have attached bit is it something like this?  I drew a spline to start and then I started the work plane command and selected the spline close to the end I wanted to start on and then selected the end of the spline itself to attach the plane.  I created a sketch on theat plane and swept along the path.  Hope this helps.

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 7
graemev

I managed to create a plane perpendicular to the start point of the 3D spline and sketch a circle thereupon.  I even managed to pick the 3D spline as the path for the sweep.  The problem comes that a self-intersecting path is not compatible with the sweep tool.  Perhaps multiple non-self-intersecting splines would do the trick?  As a 3D printed item I suspect you'll actually want the wire to intersect itself here and there for structural support.

Message 4 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: graemev

Inventor 2014 is supposed to allow self-intersecting sweeps
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2014/Help/0000-What_s_N0/0001-What_s_N1/0003-Part3

but I could not get it to work with this "scribble".

My suggestion would be to start out with a much simpler scribble, get it working, and  then gradually increase the complexity.

If you are interested in one that doesn't self-intersect (and/or do not have access to Inventor 2014 as a student http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity ) you might try this one

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

Just ran a test - in 2014 I could have a self-intersecting condition as long as it wasn't "too" much.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
rdyson
in reply to: JDMather

JD, according to a recent post answered by a adesk employee, a sketch can self intersect but a single surface created by that sketch cannot. The example I believe was a spring. If the swept sketch was a circle, it created a single surface that failed. He split the circle into two halves so that the top semicircular half surface intersected with the bottom surface. That allowed the sweep to suceed.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 7
glenn-chun

Hi vinzs78,

Please see my post:  Demystifying Self-intersecting Sweep

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Demystifying-Self-intersecting-Sweep/td-p/4303803

Your case belongs to Type 1 mentioned in my post, so this is not allowed in sweep.

scribble_illegal_geometry.png

Glenn

Autodesk ShapeManager Development

Glenn Chun
Sr. Principal Engineer
Message 7 of 7
vinzs78
in reply to: glenn-chun

Fantastic, I downloaded 2014 and it works! I just need to make a scribble that is: less complex and non interscting! thanks for all those answers...i am now re motivated to found the solution to this!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums