Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrambled screen view

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JamieVJohnson2
495 Views, 4 Replies

Scrambled screen view

In Inventor Professional 2014, under certain screen sizes (by lcd, not necessarily pixels), inventor will display a scrambled screen that makes it impossible to view the work to be done.

1. Radeon HD cards 5900, and 6900 series are doing this.

2. Nvidia Quadro FX 4800 is not doing this.

3. Simply adding a second open drawing, and having it display the tabs at the bottom, resolved the scrambling.

4. Only the drawing area is scrambled, not the menus, or Browers.

5. Reducing the program, or drawing window may fix the issue.

6. Templates have nothing to do with it.

7. Application options May have something to do with it, but I can't find which ones.

8. Cycling thru all hardware options has no effect.

9. Installing (clean) the latest video drivers has no effect. (even betas)

10. When the screen scrambled, dragging the main program window to undock it from monitor 2 to monitor 1 would cause Inventor to crash (most of the time).

My machine has been doing this since I installed 2014.  My supervisors computer was not.  Then when I imported the application options, it began to do so.  I MUST resolve this issue today, without installing a bunch of new video cards.  Please help if you can.

Thank you,

jvj
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: JamieVJohnson2

Well, there are two clues in your list.  The different video cards, and the Application Options.

Do you have any other machines that are NOT doing this?  Can you compare the Options to see what is different? 

As much as you don't want to hear this, have you verified the compatibility of the Radeon graphics card with IV2014?

Message 3 of 5
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: cbenner

Yes the application options are the problem, specifically in the registry, when I wipe out the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion18.0

Inventor recreates the bare minimum.  The problem is gone.  Reconstructing the options I add one feature at a time, I have crossed the threashold of problems at adding Color Schemes back (manually had to import them into the registry).  Also the color schemes I have are from earlier versions say R17.  However in reverse, removing the color schemes key did not fix the problem, so something else is getting added after I add the colorschemes that is causing the real problem.

I can revert the registry back to just before the color schemes were added, and all is good again.  Being a member of the beta testing group, I never merged by 2013 data with 2014, because I didn't want to muck up my 2013 live projects by accident.  I would love to get down to the exact registry key causing the problem (probably only 1).

Apparently Autodesk doen't 'test' graphics cards anymore.  The last Radeon on their list was something like a HD2900, which is way older than HD 6900, however, I can not rule out AMD software in this issue as it relates to Autodesk's call to it's drivers.

So at least for now I have a work-around... No color schemes, go with default, and don't load them in at all.

jvj
Message 4 of 5
cbenner
in reply to: JamieVJohnson2

Well, all I can say is you are fairly brave doing anything inside the registry.  I wouldn't try that, no matter what.  I've done damage that way in the distant past.

Message 5 of 5
JamieVJohnson2
in reply to: cbenner

Remove these registry keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion18.0\System\Preferences\Display]

"OGSSupport"=dword:00000002
"OGSMultiSampLevel"=dword:00000002
"OGSFallbackLevel"=dword:00000000

Or at least set this MultiSamp to 0.  I finally found the exact source of the scrambled screen issue, introduced in 2014.  Does anybody know what these keys are supposed to do?

Thanks,

jvj

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report