Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale a Part in one Axis

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
8336 Views, 10 Replies

Scale a Part in one Axis

Hello All,

I have a part and I need to scale it in the Z-axis only.  It is impossible for me to rework the base geometry directly.  

I have made some attempts to figure out how to do this on my own but all have failed:

1. Thicken/Offset
  2. Copy Object + Move Bodies + Combine (wouldn’t let me create a solid with Copy Object)
  3. Rectangular Pattern + Combine (works but not the desired result. adds a constant offset to the part, not % based, humongous model size)
  4. Derived component (uniform scaling only, prefer to modify the original file for file structure reasons)

After searching the forum here I have found someone who claims they can do this with some external plug in but I would prefer an official solution to this problem.

I am relatively new to inventor, In my previous experience cad packages usually have something that does this with a single button like this:

here

example

Thanks for any help you can give!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

What version of Inventor are you using?

Check the SDK

or

Inventor Tooling if you have Professional.

SDK - Scale.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I’m using Inventor 2010,  We have access to several different types of licenses here through the licesne server and I can probably get access to whatever level we need.  

The ReadMe at: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2010\SDK\UserTools\DerivedPart_SP 

Matches yours from your screen shot after I ran the installer in the SDK library.  

When I go to make a derived part this is the window that comes up:

Derive Window.png

Do I also need to run the installer in this directory?

NOTE: inventor was not open during installation, screen shot was post installation

Where can i go to learn more about these tools in the SDK?

Thanks!

Message 4 of 11
udayag

If you installed the addin successfully, you should see a button for "Derived Part (Scale/Position)" under trhe addins tab.

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the thread - very helpful.

I've followed the same steps, and now the add-in appears and is apparently set to automatic/loaded.  Unfortunately, it still does not work however... is this add-in compatible with Inventor Professional 2012? I'd assume so since it featured in the file directory stated.  It just appears that the derive menu is unchanged.

I also have alias and fusion installed although could not perform non-uniform scaling in them either. I think perhaps I'd need 2013 edition or fusion 360°?

It's a shame really because Inventor is my favourite software, but I remember doing non-uniform scales in Solidworks 2011 with no bother at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to model a garter spring which has been deflected vertically rather than radially and there's no practical way to model this using standard features.

Regards,

Stuart

Message 6 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

I've followed the same steps, and now the add-in appears and is apparently set to automatic/loaded.  Unfortunately, it still does not work however...  Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

A first start will be to post some screen shots so we can try to diagnose why it isn't working for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: udayag

Hi Udaya,

I to would like to scale in one Axis.  Using Inventor 2014 Professional, I drew a two dimensional airfoil comprised of upper and lower splines created using x and y points.  I would like to change the cord (length) to thickness ratio by scaling the cord axis longer only to make a foil which is thinner using the same curves.  Finally I will scale in both directions to get the same cord length that the original had. 

I checked my addins button and did not see "Derived Part (Scale/Position)."  Where do I get such an addin?  I searched the forums and did not see a procedure for aquiring addins.  I did see a procedure for debuging addins.

Inventor is a powerful and fun software package.  I feel that this capability sould be "standard."

I thank you in advance and wish you a blessed day.

Mike Snider

Message 8 of 11
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Where do I get such an addin? 

Mike Snider

It is already on your computer - but you have to install it.

See the path in response #2.

Message 9 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: udayag

Hi Inventor users,

Here is a link to the IdeaStation that suggests having the SDK scaling tool incorporated into the out of the box Derive tool in Inventor:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Incorporate-Non-Uniform-Scaling/idi-p/3873103

If you think it would be a good idea, not to have to install this extra tool from the SDK and instead have it become part of the standard Derive tool, please give this idea a kudo to show the Inventor Developers your support for this improvement idea.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I've religiously followed the instructions but can't get the add-in to appear. 

I'm running Inventor professional 2017 on windows 10.

I found the derived parts folder and installed the file by running the Windows batch file as administrator. The command prompt window appeared briefly, ran through some text and closed. I presumed it was now installed.

Derived part filesDerived part files 

In inventor looked in the Add-ins tab and it was note shown.

Add-insAdd-ins

Opened manage add-ins and not shown.

Manage Add-insManage Add-ins

I followed the UAC instructions and checked the .net files were correct.

Sure it's a problem at my end but after many attempts no success.

Help appreciated.

Message 11 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! I vaguely remember we stopped shipping that tool a while back due to some quality issue. Now you can use Direct Edit command -> Scale to do scaling in one axis or uniformly. Please take a look at Direct Edit and see if it works for you

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report